Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:33 AM
BlownWideOpen
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead issues

So, the bike I bought doesn't want to start. It's been sitting for quite a few years now, but is still in decent visual shape.

When I go to start it, seems like the fuel filter isn't filling up with fuel, and is also leaking a little bit from the brand new petcock I've installed. Seems like no matter what position I put the petcock in and tighten it, it still wants to leak.

Also, it's "puking" oil from the crankcase hose. Now, I've read the reason as to why this happens, I just want to know how much should be coming out? I'm in no rush to fix that end of the things as I just need the bike running for a friends wedding, to take pictures with.

I've already changed the oil, plugs, sealed the tank with the POR-15 kit, and put a new battery in it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:36 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,221 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Sitting for quite a few years...

Have you taken the carb off and given it a good cleaning, made sure the jets are not plugged with dead old gummy gas?

Try some plumbers teflon tape around the threads of the petcock. Should do the trick.

Puckin oil is common for a bike that has been sitting. Just pressure build up and will ususally quit once the motor runs and oil get circulating through the system. But since it hasn't run in a bit I would pull the cap and inspect the check ball to make sure it is not stuck from sitting. Also pull the plug on the tappet screen and make sure it is clean.

The external fuel filter is redundant and not needed if you have the filter in the tank. And check to see that the external filter is mounted properly. There is usually an arrow which shows which way it goes. The filter has a paper element that should probably be replaced as well if you intend to use it

Old 05-13-2015, 11:57 AM
BlownWideOpen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Sitting for quite a few years...

Have you taken the carb off and given it a good cleaning, made sure the jets are not plugged with dead old gummy gas?

Try some plumbers teflon tape around the threads of the petcock. Should do the trick.

Puckin oil is common for a bike that has been sitting. Just pressure build up and will ususally quit once the motor runs and oil get circulating through the system. But since it hasn't run in a bit I would pull the cap and inspect the check ball to make sure it is not stuck from sitting. Also pull the plug on the tappet screen and make sure it is clean.

The external fuel filter is redundant and not needed if you have the filter in the tank. And check to see that the external filter is mounted properly. There is usually an arrow which shows which way it goes. The filter has a paper element that should probably be replaced as well if you intend to use it
Yeah the carb has been off, but probably did not give it as thorough of a cleaning as I could have... Will get back into it and put some extra effort into it once again.

Plumbers teflon tape, will give that a shot.

The bike does not have an in tank filter, and the filter is new. But I will check to see if I put it in the right way.

In regards to the check ball, if it's stuck how should I go about freeing it?

Thank you

Old 05-13-2015, 01:00 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

If it puking oil the ball is probably not stuck since it is leaking past it. To remove the ball put a magnet on the side of a steel rod. That should should magnetize the rod enough to lift the ball out.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,911 Likes on 17,472 Posts

Crack the gas caps open and see if you get fuel, had a few with plugged vent ports that causes the tanks to vacuum lock on you. Far as the puking out the vent hose that isn't uncommon for ones that have been sitting, cases can hold 1-1/2 qts if it bleeds down that far. Put a pan under the bike when you try to start it and after she's running the first fews times you let it sit overnight they usually settle down after you run them while, it doesn't post back I'll link you to a repair post with pictures for reseating the check ball properly.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:53 AM
BlownWideOpen
6th Gear

How does one go about emptying all the oil from that portion of the system? Seems like it smells a little gassy.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:50 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Crack the gas caps open and see if you get fuel, had a few with plugged vent ports that causes the tanks to vacuum lock on you. Far as the puking out the vent hose that isn't uncommon for ones that have been sitting, cases can hold 1-1/2 qts if it bleeds down that far. Put a pan under the bike when you try to start it and after she's running the first fews times you let it sit overnight they usually settle down after you run them while, it doesn't post back I'll link you to a repair post with pictures for reseating the check ball properly.
What he says. If you are smelling gas in your oil, it has leaked down thru your carb, by the rings and into the crankcase; Change the oil immediately. Gas doesn't make a good lubricant. You'll need to change it again once you get it started and warmed up. It all goes back to your carb. Possibly the float is stuck open. By the way, what kind of carb are you using?
It just sounds like you really need to sit down with the bike and do a good cleaning from top to bottom.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:25 AM
BlownWideOpen
6th Gear

Originally Posted by AlCherry
What he says. If you are smelling gas in your oil, it has leaked down thru your carb, by the rings and into the crankcase; Change the oil immediately. Gas doesn't make a good lubricant. You'll need to change it again once you get it started and warmed up. It all goes back to your carb. Possibly the float is stuck open. By the way, what kind of carb are you using?
It just sounds like you really need to sit down with the bike and do a good cleaning from top to bottom.
Yeah well the bike had been sitting and there was a known leak going on. Mainly through the petcock though. It's an S&S Super B carb. I'm going to take it apart and see what the deal is.

Although this looks like really really bad news.

That's not even a 1/10th of what I dug out of the primary. Colour me worried.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,911 Likes on 17,472 Posts

Somethings rubbing somewhere , was the primary chain loose ?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the chain or belt with an idler was adjusted on the tight spot not the loose spot

Quick Reply: Shovelhead issues