Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Can't start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:56 PM
mrwolf
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't start!

Hey guys new here and at my wits end. I have an '80 flh. I'm having trouble starting and its killing me. The bike just had a top end rebuild. When she runs it runs PERFECT. I can bump start her and it's off to the races. I have a fully charged batter and a brand new solenoid. After I give the battery a full charge, I hit the start button and its as if the battery is dead. I go from 13.90 volts to 12.75 in an instant.I have checked all the wires for shorts and there are none.I also have a kick start and that doesn't help.Can't even get her to kick over. Also I do have spark and gas.. PLEASE help !!!!! thanks !

Old 05-31-2015, 05:36 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

New top end? What was done?

There can be some real close (tight) tolerances in new parts that could be an issue until broke in.

There can also be errors made during assembly that can be an issue.

If you can't get it to roll over with a kickstarter something is not right from having it overhauled.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:41 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Does she roll over with the plugs out - kick or starter?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:39 PM
mrwolf
2nd Gear

My bad....she turns over,just cranks like it has a weak battery. I also went and put a brand new battery in. Same result. She runs like a bear, I just have to bump start it ! It was bored .10 over ,new pistons, rings. Had the rockers tightened up. I also tried retarding the timing and advanced a degree or two.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:45 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,347 Likes on 1,552 Posts

Too much compression??? Did you change to higher compression pistons?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:48 PM
mrwolf
2nd Gear

No nothing crazy. She was blowing smoke so bad i would disappear! So I had the top end tightened up.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Start with checking all the cable connections particularly the ground to frame then check the solenoid to make sure it isn't a china chinga junker, had those bad right of the box.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:11 PM
mrwolf
2nd Gear

Here's a new take on the thread....I pulled the starter to see if maybe my brushes were worn and it fell apart in my hands. Looking at the inside it was full of gunk!.What I would like to know is should I be able to turn the starter dive gear with my finger? Now that the starter is out i can see the drive gear. I tried to spin it and it feels jammed. Any thoughts??

Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 PM
dhowe
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have an 83 FXWG and I have been having a similar issue. I went thru the entire electrical and replaced every connector end. I checked every wire and replaced a few of those as well as checking all grounds and I got a new battery. I also got a new ignition and coil from dynatech and installed that. I am going to be timing it and try to get it going, but I think that it may be the starter. I really don't want to have to, but I think the starter will be getting replaced. From what I understand, you should be able to rotate the starter shaft by hand. It will have some resistance but it should be able to turn. Someone who knows more might be able to help out, but I have read somewhere that some starters should only turn one direction and not the other... I think the starter is the issue if you checked all grounds and wiring.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:11 PM
mrwolf
2nd Gear

I think I caught a break here. After trying to spin the starter drive gear, I went to take off the outer primary cover. As soon as I loosened the screws the gear freed up !! Now here is where I need help.....As soon as I tighten the cover the gear is frozen again. Is it possible I need a thicker thrust washer ? Or is there a trick or something I missed with the alignment ? Thanks again for all your help 1

Quick Reply: Can't start!