Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Newbie Intro

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:10 PM
notmyshvl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Intro

Figured I'd do my introduction here since its the only area of the forum I've been reading. I recently took possession of a '81 FLH that I've wanted for over 10yrs. A close friend owned the bike but never had the desire or interest the bike deserved in my opinion. I finally talked him out of it recently which brings me here. I joined the forum back in '08 when I was riding it then. It's basically been sitting for no reason for approx. the last 7yrs.. I'm new to shovels other than basic tune up, fluid changes, and carb rebuild I completed years ago. I've done all my own wrenching on several vehicle resto's over the years but still green to Harelys so don't flame me too hard on obvious questions. Yes I've acquired and started reading the HD and Haynes manuals.

The current condition isn't bad but needs a little work in most areas. The bike was originally a University of Houston police bike sold in a state auction to a friend in Oklahoma who built it to the condition it today. I still have contact to original owner which is nice when certain items are unknown. The engine and tranny are basically stock both rebuilt at some point in time. A Fxwg dual disk front end was swapped and it was lowered. Looks a lot like a FX to me.

Since acquiring the "project", I've removed and boiled/sealed the tanks. Stripped the fenders also since it all was in need of paint. The front wheel was pulling to the left from a minor wreck. After removing the fork tubes I finally figured out the lower tree was slightly bent. Luckily I had a Servi cart adjustable trees sitting in a box that I swapped out. I actually like them better and the forks needed new seals regardless so no loss. I've rebuilt the S&S "E" carb and started polishing the old chrome when time allows. I still need to adjust the lifters (solid), change fluids, and adjust clutch while waiting for paint work to be completed. There will be a whole new list when its cranked. This will be when the questions come. Thanks again and here are a few pics of the current condition.......

Attached Thumbnails Newbie Intro-img_3166.jpg   Newbie Intro-img_3220.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 12:30 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

welcome - it looks like a good start - good luck with it

Old 06-01-2015, 01:15 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,911 Likes on 17,472 Posts

Welcome to the forums and nice score on the shovel. They are pretty basic and from the looks of the garage you'll pick it all up quick. Only suggestion I'll make is put a large drip pan under her when you first start it as she will puke some oil out the breather hose, common for one that's been sitting a while.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:29 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

welcome - the guys are real and will help in anything you try to fix so ask away if you get in a jam --

Old 06-02-2015, 11:07 AM
notmyshvl
6th Gear

Thanks for the advice! It does puke oil after sitting. I've read it can be helped but don't really know how bad it seeps until I get it running. I remember back when it was running it took at least a week or two before. Don't know if its worth worrying about?

Old 06-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by notmyshvl
Don't know if its worth worrying about?
Not Now...There are other Fish to Fry!!!!

Old 06-06-2015, 12:13 PM
notmyshvl
6th Gear

Update........Messed around a little yesterday evening and was able to kick it over for a few minutes to see what I'm dealing with. Looks like I have a front cylinder base gasket leak. It was running well but after shutting it down and looking everthing over it was obvious there's a leak. I had a feeling it might happen. It had been repaired shortly before it was put up back in '08. The carb will be coming back off also. It was having trouble starting without a squirt bottle and then went totally dry. Timing seemed a little off as well but need to get carb straight first.

Also replaced front dual caliper seals after finding a leak in one of them. Bled them down and still getting a little squirt out of the cap breather hole. I'm guessing I need to re-bleed them? Not making much since why fluid would be pushed back out of the cylinder.

Making headway but feels like my idea of a quick start and ride is diminishing. Reading up the search function on head and jug removal for the base gasket repair. Looks like I will be needing a special 12pt wrench to torque the bolts. Also trying to figure out the right gasket and sealant to use for the base gasket. Any advice is welcome. Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:15 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Check the petcock before you pull the carb, drop the fuel line off the carb and see what kind of flow you in each position when you turn the petcock on. They tend to crud up and block the fine filter screen inside the tank. Base & rocker cover gaskets are a given if she's sat and do yourself a big favor and use the new tech metal composite not the old school paper types , you just build in a future leak with those.

Tool wise I strongly suggest you pick up a couple of these in the needed sizes from somewhere like Amazon.com, called torque adapters and in some cases you will have gently grind off a little of the OD on them to fit over the head bolts and the base nuts. The old school "S" wrenches come in handy too.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 06-06-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:25 PM
notmyshvl
6th Gear

Thank you for the tip!! I was leaning towards the paper with sealant but will look at the tech metal gasket now. I need a ring compressor also which I was ebay for already.

I was running the carb straight from a jug and probably picked up some trash in the process. It pissed me off to say the least.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

If your going into her do both cylinders and change the rocker cover gaskets too you'll be doing your self a big favor in the long run. Rings you can get away with the old thumbnail trick if you've some hand skills and a little patience. Far as sealants go everybody has their preferences but I strongly suggest you PM Johnjzjz about that he's gotta shop that does all the old school bike and definitely knows his ****.

Quick Reply: Newbie Intro