Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Drag pipe recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Baird
Road Master
Received 1,060 Likes on 436 Posts

Looks GOOD! Watch it tightening on the studs too much or you'll drag 'em right out of the aluminum head. I agree, don't double gasket get them, tighten at the head and make them fit to the frame, go for a ride and tighten again.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

I use studs in my exhaust mounts. I also recommend [especially with Chiwanese Exhaust] mount the pipes to the studs [or port] such that they seal all the way around, and look at where they are pointing...
Now you gotta figger out how to get them pointed where they belong while still maintaining that even sealing surface.
Good Luck.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:39 PM
72_shovel
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't double the gaskets they will just blow out faster and use Permatex Ultra gray not the red ****. Trouble sealing is directly related to not being mounted or aligned right on the rear bracket , it's not uncommon to either have to bend it a little to tuck or raise the pipe a bit or add a washer or 2 between the bracket and the pipe on the T bolt to get everything clean and straight and from what I'm seeing in the picture that front pipes is off a bunch .

Don't be afraid to get in there and tweak things none of the aftermarket stuff bolts up true and straight out of the box.
Actually, the front pipe is sealed pretty well. I'll see what I can do tomorrow after work.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:48 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Looks good, too bad you let them talk you out of getting the power cones in the J& P CYCLE catalog, because they do make a difference. Just trying to help a brother....

Old 08-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Looks good, too bad you let them talk you out of getting the power cones in the J& P CYCLE catalog, because they do make a difference. Just trying to help a brother....
And we can verify this how??
Like saying those damnable Bolts stuffed into drag pipes is a good Band-Aide!
I have my friends ride a Bike I have here with a Proper Exhaust, quite often, so they learn how a Proper Exhaust acts.
However, the Sound will never really be the Same.
BTW If your Seat of the Pants is telling you your exhaust is "better", then you will need to keep it, no matter what, But, I ain't running it.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:07 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Racepres
And we can verify this how??
Like saying those damnable Bolts stuffed into drag pipes is a good Band-Aide!
I have my friends ride a Bike I have here with a Proper Exhaust, quite often, so they learn how a Proper Exhaust acts.
However, the Sound will never really be the Same.
BTW If your Seat of the Pants is telling you your exhaust is "better", then you will need to keep it, no matter what, But, I ain't running it.
Damn bolts are not precisionly machine as the cones, really ? He's the one that wants drags instead of your "proper"exhaust, I only suggested the cones to make it easier for him to tune.
You could run it or dyno it with and without the cones, not only see the results but feel it,that's how I know. Plus the drags sound better WITH the cones in, ... IMHO
Would never claim my exhaust is better than anyone else's......

Old 08-06-2015, 07:55 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by glidein wide
Damn bolts are not precisionly machine as the cones, really ? He's the one that wants drags instead of your "proper"exhaust, I only suggested the cones to make it easier for him to tune.
You could run it or dyno it with and without the cones, not only see the results but feel it,that's how I know. Plus the drags sound better WITH the cones in, ... IMHO
Would never claim my exhaust is better than anyone else's......
My dyno is 1/4 of a mile long, and I can prove cones are not gonna help ya here.....In the real world.
But, if you are convinced that they work...Nothing in the world will change your mind. So....You need to run 'em.
Enjoy....

Edit:
BTW If you don't think we Have tried every Pipe, and Modification Known/Unknown to man....Well, Walk a Mile in My shoes!!!

And No those are Not OK nor Optimum Either!!!

Last edited by Racepres; 08-06-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:31 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I've run both with and without cones, on Evos and Shovels. I can't tell any difference.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:59 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by pjb
I've run both with and without cones, on Evos and Shovels. I can't tell any difference.
Thanks a lot pj, !!!! Some people can't pick up detail, that fine line,"did you wash or wax your car?" Uuuummmm cuz I can't tell, well I can.
If the op was asking about exhaust to run1/4 mile then I wouldn't have posted anything at all,Iassume he is not racing it,different tune,you know that I hope race man,you can **** farther than me so under my rock I go.
Op must be laughing his *** off.!!!