Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter issue on '77 electra

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:51 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issue on '77 electra

I installed a lever actuator to replace the solenoid on the primary, and it works very well (after lots of shimming), however the wiring they sent with the manual starter lever was wrong, so I'm currently jumping the starter across the two large poles of the starter relay. I'm just wondering how the starter relay is normaly engaged? I tried adding both positive and negative current to the "S" pole on the starter relay and couldn't get the relay to click at all. Brand new starter relay BTW, just wondering if I got a bad one. I haven't had a lot of luck finding info on what actually changes the relay to closed. Let me know if you have any ideas, kind of a pain having to hold the lever and jump the terminals on the other side of the bike to start it.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I guess I don't get it?
Wire to long stud on Solenoid is from Battery, wire on short Stud on solenoid is to Starter.
When the two come together = Starter Turns..
Did I miss some secret to the "lever" starter?

BTW What is the advantage over the good ole Feeler Gauge [jumper]??

Old 07-21-2015, 08:34 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

the solenoid is no longer in the equation, I replaced it with a manual one, that is supposed to trip the relay to start the bike, but isn't. I'm currently starting it the feeler gauge way.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:35 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

I can live with it, but I rode it yesterday and the bike backfired and stalled out while sitting in traffic so I had to put it in neutral and use both hands to start the bike back up. Would be more convenient if I had a free hand to hold the clutch

Old 07-21-2015, 09:56 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by guitarman023
the solenoid is no longer in the equation, I replaced it with a manual one, that is supposed to trip the relay to start the bike, but isn't. I'm currently starting it the feeler gauge way.
If you are still doing it the feeler gauge way....The Solenoid has Not been eliminated!!
Have you eliminated the Starter Relay??
Does your Manual relay Bring the Bendix in....I'm very confused now!!!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:07 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

yes, the lever engages the starter gear into the ring gear. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/381-946

It has a single wire coming out of it, and it's a ground and I wired it as it was supposed to be with the included relay, and it didn't work.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:17 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

I should clarify, I'm using the starter relay as the "feeler gauge" trick, not the original solenoid

Old 07-21-2015, 12:36 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

So...The Ground must be applied to a Starter Relay, which fires and applies the 12v to the starter motor when ya pull the lever to engage the Bendix...I think I got it..
Don't know why I would do it??? But, I got it.
Put yer Solenoid back and go back to the Feeler on the Solenoid...eliminating all the rest of the Starter circuit!
Unless you have a Mechanical problem with your original components...Fork or Solenoid.
Odd that they use a Ground, but...was it me I would use two relays...the small late model one controlled by the Ground you have from yer "Lever" have the small relay then Fire The Large [solenoid-Like] Relay to apply 12v to the Starter....Done!

Old 07-21-2015, 12:47 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

Originally Posted by Racepres
but...was it me I would use two relays...the small late model one controlled by the Ground you have from yer "Lever" have the small relay then Fire The Large [solenoid-Like] Relay to apply 12v to the Starter....Done!
That's exactly what I have! I can't figure out how to fire the starter relay. I can make the small relay click all day, but I can't get the starter relay to close on it's own. It has two pins, marked S(switch) and M I think. Neither one of them makes the relay click when either + or - is applied to either terminal.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:51 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarman023
I can make the small relay click all day, but I can't get the starter relay to close on it's own. It has two pins, marked S(switch) and M I think. Neither one of them makes the relay click when either + or - is applied to either terminal.
If you wire it according to the directions, it will work if all the components are good. The larger starter relay has to be grounded to work.

Quick Reply: Starter issue on '77 electra