Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter just spinning

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Wampa Stomper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter just spinning

Went riding, stopped to check location and went to start the bike, just a bunch of whirring.

New to bikes period. Very rusty at mechanicking, lol. So much so that I got the bike home and started to take apart the solenoid cuz it looks like a car starter. I think I've stopped before causing any damage. Disconnected the wires, two screws and pulled the solenoid. I'm at the rubber boot with a rod sticking out of it. I will be putting that back together today. Just got the manual, which made me realize that it wasn't the starter.

Anyways, any tips or advice before I just start pulling **** off?

Old 07-21-2015, 09:07 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you just heard whirring from the starter motor, I'm guessing your solenoid isn't engaging the starter gear inside the primary. This is assuming you're talking about a shovelhead. What year/model do you have?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 PM
Wampa Stomper
Cruiser

Shovelhead correct, 1980 Low Rider.

So, I am on the right track taking the solenoid apart. The problem is, unless something is obviously broke, I don't know what I'm looking for.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:43 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

you can test the solenoid by jumping two of the poles, the one that sticks out the furthest, and the small screw next to it, if the solenoid is good, it should pull in. I would still pull the primary cover, it's really easy and it will give you a better idea of what the mousetrap setup looks like.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 AM
Wampa Stomper
Cruiser

Mousetrap setup?

I know my dad put a moustrap shifter on it, but it's just for looks.

As far as jumping it goes, leave the solenoid off but hook the wires back up and hit the start button to see?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

I would just use an old screwdriver to short the two terminals of the solenoid, if you have it connected to the battery. The starter bendix assembly inside the primary is called the mousetrap sometimes. If you don't have a service manual for the bike, get one, or you can download the pdf version here: http://hd-vintage.cbssm.com/index.html#1980 There's also free downloads if you google enough.

Last edited by guitarman023; 07-22-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Wampa Stomper
Cruiser

I do have the manual. Just got it yesterday. It's the only reason I know I took apart the solenoid. I thought it was the starter. I'm going on 20 year old car knowledge and it looked like a starter, lol.

I can hook the wires back up and see what it does. I got some pics while i had it apart, here there are just for ***** and giggles.

Is that the plunger? It moves all around, spins, pushes in and spins, doesn't grab on anything. Don't know if that's how it should be

The solenoid.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Wampa Stomper
Cruiser

Tried jumping it like you said, nothing happened at all. Then, just fiddling around, I pushed in the rod in the solenoid and the starter whirred without engaging again.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:06 PM
guitarman023
Road Master

yeah so the plunger piece should get sucked into the solenoid if the coils are working right in it. Sounds like your solenoid may be bad.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Wampa Stomper
Cruiser

Shouldn't the bike have tried to turn over when I pushed the plunger and made the starter whir? It's doing the same thing whether the solenoid is attached to the bike or not.

And thank you for your patience and help.

Quick Reply: Starter just spinning