Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Clutch Vibration looking for Ideas Early 84 (3 finger clutch)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 AM
Whitey22
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Vibration looking for Ideas Early 84 (3 finger clutch)

(Originally posted this in Softail Forum then realized it would probably be better suited here)
Still going through the bike it is new to me as of 3 months ago it is an an early 1984 Softail on a Santee rigid frame (or at least has that Motor, primary and tranny combo it's titled as special construction per a Santee frame with Delkron cases so no way of knowing what it truly left Harley as or if it was assembled off a parts shelf and has no true Harley origin) I pulled the Primary to replace the charging system and cure a slipping clutch while I was in there. When opening the primary I found the primary to be a sealed setup (no more factory primary oiling system) and it over filled, half the clutch basket submerged in what appeared and smelled to be 90wt gear oil and also the tranny was completely loose 4 main stud nuts loose and 5th bolt missing.

What I have done- I aligned and tightened down the tranny, installed a complete new charging system (rotor,stator and reg/rec) reinstalled primary compensator, chain and original clutch hub with new key and seals and original basket, cleaned all original fibers and steels with brake cleaner (they were coated and glazed but flat with new or close to new thickness of fiber material per measurement) and scuffed the fibers to remove the glaze, reinstalled per shop manual the rest of the clutch adding new aftermarket billet pressure plate (J&P cycles sourced) and closed her up with new primary gaskets and all other primary seals replaced with new. Filled primary with ATF (not really interested in starting a discussion on proper primary fluid) to correct level just touching bottom of basket.

And now for the reason for this post-The clutch slip is gone but what I now have is a pretty good vibration when engaging and disengaging the clutch enough to where I am concerned with hurting the tranny output shaft bearing and related parts. The vibration only happens during the clutch engagement when taking off from a start as best I can tell, it was not there before the disassembly but this may be due to the tranny being loose and soaking it up from that I don't know. Also I get a very slight grab at a stop with the lever pulled in not enough to move the bike just enough to feel a slight occasional surge.

What I am thinking- I found a few marks on the back of the clutch hub (like it may have been removed by the pry and whack method in the past and not by a puller which I used) and this may have warped it. I am looking at buying a 5 finger hub a nylatron ring and related small parts to make the swap but I would be interested in any other ideas and or suggestions as to what may cause this vibration so I could investigate them also, so any and all suggestions are welcomed TY!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,202 Likes on 5,397 Posts

I would bet your first problem is the fiber plates...they have been soaked and glazed..no amount of cleaning will give you really smooth engagement. Since you believe it has been removed with a pry-bar..I would get a dial indicator and check the run-out on both the hub and the main shaft. While the 4 speed clutch has served people well for many years...most of the replacement parts available from the aftermarket are absolute crap, which makes it even more difficult to get it to work properly. Personally I would save my money and buy a Riveria pro clutch..smooth as glass...easier on the left hand, and will wear out your bike and still be in good condition...I've had mine for over 15 years.

http://knuckleheadtheology.blogspot....ch-part-1.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rivera-Primo...585187&vxp=mtr

Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

First thing I'd try is dropping the plates out with the clutch shell still in place and turn the hub by hand and watch to see if the clutch shell is moving up & down any and it doesn't much to make a big vibration, sometimes the keys are smidge to tall and holds the taper offset a hair when you mount the hub up.

If so do what Tom has suggested to make sure the mainshaft didn't get tweaked too.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Whitey22
Novice

TY for the reply's Tom and Twizted will give all that a look see, Tom the only reason I don't think its the plates is the clutch engages smoothly as in not grabby and now holds excellent but there is a mechanical feeling vibration as it does so (I'm probably not describing it well) but this being my first clutch of this type I could be all wrong dunno, as far as the new clutch setup what is your thoughts on BDL's clutch setup (not resistant to Rivera just can get the whole dry primary and clutch setup from BDL for only 100 bucks more than just the clutch) was looking at their Dry belt drive primary and clutch setup (as per my the first post when you steered me in the right direction for mine being a shovelhead primary) Jireh has it for a good price was gonna do that this winter was just hoping the original setup would get me there but obviously it may not, don't want to take a chance of damaging the tranny since when I inspected it, it appeared to be in very good shape no slop at all in the bearings, seals good and it shifts very well, doing the swap now will probably save me some cash in the long run, instead of throwing a 100 here and a 100 there at the old setup chasing this vibration. One question could the studs on the hub cause this they also have some smooth notching (no sharp edges to the indentations) on closer inspection, yeah I am really not liking this hub at all the closer I look at it.
Also is it necessary to vent the primary when running a Belt primary (IE vented primary cover or vented derby cover) just got a new chrome primary cover and derby cover I like lol don't really want to change them out just yet but if I have to I will have to.

And thanks a ton guys needless to say it is really great to have someone and some place to turn when trying to diagnose these issues! I have a ton of mechanical experience, but no experience with the particular idiosyncrasies of the shovelhead primary/clutch setup. Was actually kinda excited to learn them but replacing the 3 finger with a newer design which I am very familiar with may just be the way to go if for no other reason than piece of mind and familiarity. Pus I been wrenching of this bike for almost 4 months and would like to just get out and ride her some more than just a few short shake down runs LOL! At least the motor has been a bright spot in all this it runs amazing and is a beast dunno what has been done to it exactly (it has a compu fire ignition and S&S super E carb) but pulls harder than any Evo I have ever rode and I have rode few.

Last edited by Whitey22; 07-28-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:54 PM
flstci
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have an 82 FXR shovel and went with a new 3 finger hub and a BDL belt primary. That ring was broke that seals the inner primary and wouldn't seal up. The primary should be vented and I just used spacers I bought at lowes. Here's a pic.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:25 PM
Whitey22
Novice

Very cool idea TY FLSTCI!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Whitey22
Novice

Well Tom took your advice and got the Rivera/Primo Pro Clutch and it is everything you guys said it would be so that issue is solved still have the tiniest of vibrations but have a feeling that is the key being just a hair to tall (as per what Twizted said and my own observations) I'm thinking the key way may be a bit shallow since this is the second key to be doing this gonna have to have one machined a bit off the top and see if that smooths it out entirely if not may have a slightly tweaked output shaft dunno but man this clutch is the bomb so glad I got it TY! P.S. Haven't gone with the belt primary mine seals up good at the moment so gonna stick with the chain till it becomes an issue ;-)

Last edited by Whitey22; 08-21-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitey22
Well Tom took your advice and got the Rivera/Primo Pro Clutch and it is everything you guys said it would be so that issue is solved still have the tiniest of vibrations but have a feeling that is the key being just a hair to tall (as per what Twizted said and my own observations) I'm thinking the key way may be a bit shallow since this is the second key to be doing this gonna have to have one machined a bit off the top and see if that smooths it out entirely if not may have a slightly tweaked output shaft dunno but man this clutch is the bomb so glad I got it TY! P.S. Haven't gone with the belt primary mine seals up good at the moment so gonna stick with the chain till it becomes an issue ;-)

Take a file to it , you drag the flat on the halfmoon key up the file toward the handle a few times doesn't take much.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:00 AM
Whitey22
Novice

Cool will do Twizted TY once again!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:03 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

we use 320 sand paper on a flat surface - hold it tight and remove

Quick Reply: Clutch Vibration looking for Ideas Early 84 (3 finger clutch)