Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

first gear difficult

Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts
Default first gear difficult

1974 FLH with a four speed ratchet top transmission is difficult to put in first year from second if it is stopped. I can get it in rolling or if the bike is off but not sitting at idle. Any ideas? It shifts up and down through the gears fine but is difficult to get in. I don't over shoot it. Turn the bike off and reach down and goes in sweet. Clutch is new and adjusted proper. Did this with the old clutch as well.

randy

Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

a few things come to mind - even though it seems to shift well and no noises are coming from it -- it is worn in a few places -

the brass bushing under first gear when worn to a wiggle will bind the gear and cause it not to want to slide as it should

the top roller in the shift fork post or the post its self cracked and or worn out

the shift fork was not exactly in the correct spot and now its worn a grove in the face of the slider part of it

the cluster gear adjustable washer on the kicker side has worn its self and or the case replaceable bushing is also beyond limits, causes the cluster to walk back and forth over the spec, and first becomes frozen in place when the works is spinning

the shift drum has bushings and they wear out as well as the shift shaft and the ratchet drums bushing can also cause this issue

an over haul is a different deal then it was - today everything is worn out completely as none of it was changed, it was just what was wrong was changed and put back together, today we have to re manufacture the units, not a swap out - forks and bearings and its done

Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Typically those symptoms mean that clutch is not right.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Race, the clutch is all new. What should I look for? It doesn't slip under load and rolling goes up and down fine. Only when sitting at idle is it hard to get into neutral.

randy

Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
Race, the clutch is all new. What should I look for? It doesn't slip under load and rolling goes up and down fine. Only when sitting at idle is it hard to get into neutral.

randy
If I am trying to determine if clutch adjustment is a Culprit, I Temporarily, take the slack out of the Clutch Cable, even until the Throwout bearing is being engaged. Then a Short "test" to see if a Fully disengaged clutch makes a difference in the symptoms.
If I find the clutch adjustments cure it...then I know that the adjustment needs attention. IE Maybe as simple as a Ramm-Jett Retainer, or sticky frictions, or ????
Troubleshooting is a Methodical thing which Cannot be done Long distance.
Tell if the symptoms change when we are positive that the clutch is completely disengaging...Do Not run it long with the Throw-out engaged tho...Just a troubleshooting tool.