Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

what next - Andrews cam gear whine 77 FXE build

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:30 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default what next - Andrews cam gear whine 77 FXE build

Well - thought I had this nearly buttoned up and thought the whining was from a too tight primary belt - but sounds like the whine is from the Andrews cam gear - guess I can either press off the Andrews gear and press on my original or screw around with the pinion or Andrewsd - Andrews claims to have a smaller gear size but they fight with me when I call and try to blame Harley for making too many pinion sizes.

Has anyone re-fit a cam gear? I recall the Andrews fella telling me not to heat anything - it's a cold press - and he said not to apply pressure to the face of the shaft as I recall - but how do I index the dam thing??????

Old 08-20-2015, 02:30 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default cam gear replacement

Back in the 90's Andrews did a lot of pressing of cam gears for me Just sent them their cam and orig engine cam with gear no problem Maybe times have changed at Andrews ?

Old 08-20-2015, 03:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

go ask at the evo section about the cam gear and someone will post up pictures and a explain how to -- its done all the time no biggy

Old 08-20-2015, 05:11 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

I just talked to Gary at Andrews - they don;t do the "service" for you - and they don;t exchange gears anymore - I can buy a .002 under gear - press myself - or just press on my old gear - as an ironhead guy - I lap gears - so I'm unsure if the old gear is still viable to press on or if I need a new gear - will the old gear be loose??? Andrews will sell undersized cams but you have pre-order from them

Gary indicated that heating to about 250 is okay but be careful not to anneal the gear - term for taking the hardening out - I have a 20 ton press and a large industrial oven in my shop - just a bit concerned about the indexing of the gear to the shaft for timing - but a little advance on the cam timing would benefit the low end anyway - so I may just try and get it done tonight - in Minnesota - we'll run out of riding time pretty quickly once we hit Fall - and I want to rid the bike

Old 08-20-2015, 09:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Are you sure you have the correct cam gear for your engines gear set ? 77 was the break year early cams were bare, the later with a different tooth profile had a groove on the face of the gear. Later gear on an early pinion set would howl and eventually grind themselves up.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:02 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

the H cam that came out was an early style - so that's what I bought - just pressed the gear on and ran it to check runout on my lathe and the gear is not true - WTF - getting about sick of this - should I press it off again? You can see the lathe tool mark is not even in the photo

Old 08-20-2015, 10:07 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

.. and you're getting run out on only the gear? The cam is running true ( 0° ) ? Dumb question, did you check it with a dial indicator?

Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

that cam is a taiwan tedd cam - V Twin made in india its is not even worth its weight in metal - the 8 /32 thread is coming apart in the end of the gear as we speak - and the first lobe against the gear is pitted - dont use that one

you need a groove gear for the andrews cam you have as you have a late motor as twisted rightfully said

Old 08-20-2015, 10:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Have to agree with John that does not look like a stock H cam the metals too bright and like he said the small threads are hashed and I've yet to see a stock one do that. Snap a pic of the needle bearing end of it and post , we'll get you sorted out.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:39 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

It is an Andrews cam - pretty sure the gear is the original Harley gear that I pressed onto the Andrews cam - and yes - I'll throw the dial indicator on it - on the lathe - it's only about a thousands off - but hearing Jon's comments I wonder if the Andrews cam is **** as well

Quick Reply: what next - Andrews cam gear whine 77 FXE build