Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

blowing oil out breather tube

Old 09-02-2015, 02:08 PM
baknblak70
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing oil out breather tube

When I try to start up...oil starts blowing out the breather tube....ALOT. I removed check ball and spring on pump and cleaned them and replaced but still doing it. Did notice when I remove oil dip stick from oil tank to releave pressure, its not as bad but still does it. I got this idea from hooking another hose inside the hose at the breather filter and blew in it and had resistance until i blew the dipstick out of the oil tank??? thanks alot

Old 09-02-2015, 05:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

you need to explain any changes that have gone on and then this happened

you blew in the vent pipe hard enough to blow the rubber dip stick out -- really

my guess it has sumped - are you a new owner - this has never happened before

a lot more info is needed to actually help

Old 09-02-2015, 09:29 PM
baknblak70
Stage III
Default oil blowing from breather

no I have owned it since 1984...never done this before. I have built a custom ride and my old shovel has not been ridden for 5 years or more and was gonna shake the cob webs out and rider her again until this happened....thanks Danny

Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

So this is happening to a Shovelhead that has been sitting for a while? It's sumping. How much oil do you have left in your tank? Most of it is probably down in the engine case by now and you need to get it out.

Drain the tank and refill with new oil. Then remove the oil return line from the tank. Take out your spark plugs and crank the engine until all the old oil is gone and clean oil comes out of the hose. Then top off your tank and you're good to go. It may still sump a bit for the next few starts.

Last edited by Hey Man; 09-02-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Have you changed or added oil to the tank recently? Maybe you have too much in there.
Bingo!!!!
Or, a return line restriction?

Originally Posted by johnjzjz

you blew in the vent pipe hard enough to blow the rubber dip stick out -- really
I'm really wondering about this one too....
First question is ....Why??? would you blow into the breather tube????

Old 09-02-2015, 09:59 PM
baknblak70
Stage III
Default oil blowing out of breather

Well i knew there was a check valve and figured stuck open since coming out of breather hose....wasnt for sure. So I figured if you blew into the breather hose it would have the adverse effect and maybe free something up. Now Im told that most likely sumping and that most of oil is probably in crankcase and need to get it out...how do you remove it from crankcase? I know how to drain the oil tank but never had to worry about much before..old gal never gave me reason to have to worry about her...til now...she is 31 years old now...need to learn how to give her some TLC.. I guess

Old 09-03-2015, 03:02 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

pull the check ball and spring again. buy two new ***** and a new spring. remove the old ball and toss it out along with the old spring. drop new ball in and using a punch give the new ball a few sharp taps and remove. clean the hole out witha q-tip with alittle brake clean on it. install new ball and new spring. hopefully that will take care of it. i've done this on alot of bikes over the years and it's worked. i've even pulled some junk out from the seat (plastic) on a shovelhead. this worked on my evo as well.

The following users liked this post:
Bobby-b (03-19-2022)
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

To get oil out of the lower unit you need to start it up with a pan under the bike to catch all the oil in the lower unit that will pore out into the pan - re fill the oil tank - take it for a 1/2 hour ride change the oil while its hot - then re fill then take it for a 15 min ride and park it for the night - your good to go if your going to be riding it, if not wait till you will be riding it then do that --