Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Thinking about a Shovel...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Thinking about a Shovel...

I currently ride a '09 Super Glide Custom, which I've spent plenty of cash on to get it just the way I want it. My intent was to ride this bike until I'm no longer capable of riding, which as I'm 38, will hopefully be awhile.

I love the bike in every way. How it looks, how it rides, the power (about 95hp at the rear wheel) and the reliability. But...

It's not a Shovelhead. I probably don't need to explain why I think Shovels are cool. I'd love to have one as a second bike, but I can't financially justify that. I'm really debating selling the Dyna and buying a Shovel. My top choice would be an early 80's Wide Glide, with a second choice being a mid-late 70's FX. I'd set it up like my Dyna, with a 21" front wheel, forward controls, and 12" apes.

I'm a big boy and can make my own decisions on what to do, that's not why I'm here.

What I'm looking for is advice from guys who own and ride Shovelheads. I'm not afraid of spinning wrenches (I've done all the work including top end and cams on my Twin Cam) and I'm not afraid of vintage stuff (my daily driver when I'm not on the bike in the summer is a '65 Corvair). Are there any years that are better than others, or anything I should stay away from? Anything specific to look for if I go check one out? How are they to live with on a real life daily rider basis? To me the biggest drawback would be the loss of the fuel injection, not cause I'm afraid of carbs, but its nice to be able to start the bike up at 6:30 in the morning to ride to work without having to rev it or let it idle and wake up all the neighbors. Obviously vibrations from a solid mount motor and the lack of modern brakes would be something to get used to, but I'm sure I can adapt to that.

Again, not looking for anybody to make a decision for me, just looking for some experienced advice.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Since you want a Shovel but are 'accustomed' to a 6 speed rubber mount, I'd be looking at FXR, FXRS or FXRT (just make certain you get the 'R' in there.)

Instead of 4 speed solid mounted motors, the R's give you 5 speed and the rubber mount that you're used to and better handling than what you're riding now. It limits your choices though. FXR's were make from '82 to '94 with only the first two yrs with the 80" Shovel motor.

My '83 FXRT with a simple ignition upgrade and an S&S carburetor was as reliable as what I'm riding now. Easy to work on too, with average garage tools. (How I miss that bike!)

Old 09-05-2015, 05:06 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

dont quit your day job - the twinkie is a rider and does not mark its spot - it starts when you need to leave - and its plug and play -

a shovel is a great 3rd bike if you are a guy who likes to ride instead of working on it - and you will have to learn to work on it as the new vo shops only know its a shovel not what to do if it has one of many issues it could have at any time any place you go with it -

it is a labor of love - if you do not love working on a bike in some cases just to take it for a ride then dont buy one and do not sell the one that you just finished for sure

having said that i have 3 non are issued at any one time but the possibility is always in the mix

Old 09-05-2015, 09:02 PM
gearhedd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with johnjzjz but you aren't looking for advice like that. Try to find one that hasn't been screwed up by ten previous owners who didn't respect or know how to take care of it. Then do your thing but do it right.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:56 AM
doctorgoo
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a mechanic by anyone's definition but a properly maintained shovel can be plenty reliable as a daily rider. I inherited a mostly stock 1984 fxwg from my uncle about 5 years ago knowing absolutely nothing about it. With a basic set of hand tools I've been able to keep it roadworthy and dependable. I did a few minor tweaks like cv carb, new ignition module and isolated the primary and she's been pretty much rock solid. The biggest help for me has been the guys over at shovelhead.us.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

Depending how much you ride, a Shovel may be better left as a second bike. I also would like to add one to my stable, but with the knowledge that she will give me a hard time, some times. It is just what older bikes do, but if you are into it enough, the labor of love is worth it and you can make it work for you. It will also be very satisfying.

That said my Flathead left me stranded last month when the ignition took a dump on me. She had to be rescued in a pick up and brought home. After that was fixed the oil pump was found to have a major crack in it (previous owner(s) were dicks and shitty mechanics) so she then spent another three weeks down while we sourced a pump and got that installed (thanks John). She is on the road today and taking a ride after my breakfast, but you see my point?

The best you can do is find something as stock as possible and then plan on spending the winter getting her dialed in. Then in the Spring start riding it, and as I like to say "see what falls off". Then fix all of that stuff and by then you are a Shovel expert.

My 2 cents, figure out a way to have two bikes.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by gearhedd
...Try to find one that hasn't been screwed up by ten previous owners who didn't respect or know how to take care of it. Then do your thing but do it right.
Problem is that the only bikes that fall into that category are ones that are basically close to stock condition. Bikes of this era that he is looking for/thinking about are around 40 years old now. Not many owners have a history of their bikes over that period of time, and for the most part your are correct...there will be 10 owners who did not know squat or did not care about them.

Have an almost stock 75 FXE (2nd owner) and I could never let it go knowing that it was going to be "customized". And yes, if it were sold, it is no longer my concern. That said, there just aren't many "stock' ones out there and it would be a damn shame to take one more out of the loop.

I think the OP has a very nice looking Super Glide and and it looks fast just parked there. Hopefully he can find a way to keep it and find a mid 70s to early 80s model that hasn't had too many hands on it and one with some sort of history that has shown only limited abuse.

Last edited by panz4ever; 09-06-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Donzie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up a '72 FX from our local HD dealer. It was a 2 owner bike, very well maintained. I got it OTD for $4800. I feel I got a great deal. I also have a '14 Slim, which I don't plan on selling.
Honestly, buying the '72 was a strain on my budget, but I look at it as an investment, like money in the bank, that I can ride.
Although I'm not much of a mechanic I feel pretty confident that I could handle the basic maintenance that will be required.
This thing is a blast to ride and I have no plans of selling it.
Do what you can to keep your current ride and find a shovel, you'll never be sorry.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about a Shovel...-image.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 727 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Thinking about a Shovel...

Donzie, your bike is almost exactly what I'm picturing in my head when I'm looking for a bike.

To me, trading a Twin Cam for a Shovel is an emotional decision, not a practical one.

I've definitely convinced myself I want a Shovelhead, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to let go of my Dyna. There's only a month or two of good riding here in Minnesota (if we're lucky) and then I've got a winter to think about it. And winters can get expensive...

Old 09-07-2015, 05:50 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

that 72 super glide is a kick start only and it has 2 drum brakes - you will have to change your riding style as they really dont stop compared to the new bike

looking 3 blocks away becomes the norm

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Shovel...