Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Diaphragm clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:09 PM
notmyshvl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diaphragm clutch slipping

Here's what I have. PTI diaphragm wet/dry clutch with a 5 finger hub and a sealed primary. Clutch has been slipping at higher speeds when accelerating. I've adjusted the spring tension nuts along with the cable and push rod without much help. Pulled the primary cover again and removed and lightly sanded all disks and friction plates. started over on all the adjustments. Sealed it back up added new ATF-F fluid until it reached the bottom of the hub while on a kick stand. Now its slipping worse than ever before. It does have a little move fluid then before but no more than 6-7oz total. Clutch plates look good to me and have very few miles on them. I don't have a problem picking up new plates and disks but don't feel like its the problem. Seems like the clutch is getting too wet. It already has too much tension of the diaphragm and less ATF will just melt the chain tensioner. Am I missing something or better off starting over with a new clutch kit?

Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by notmyshvl
Here's what I have. PTI diaphragm wet/dry clutch with a 5 finger hub and a sealed primary. Clutch has been slipping at higher speeds when accelerating. I've adjusted the spring tension nuts along with the cable and push rod without much help. Pulled the primary cover again and removed and lightly sanded all disks and friction plates. started over on all the adjustments. Sealed it back up added new ATF-F fluid until it reached the bottom of the hub while on a kick stand. Now its slipping worse than ever before. It does have a little move fluid then before but no more than 6-7oz total. Clutch plates look good to me and have very few miles on them. I don't have a problem picking up new plates and disks but don't feel like its the problem. Seems like the clutch is getting too wet. It already has too much tension of the diaphragm and less ATF will just melt the chain tensioner. Am I missing something or better off starting over with a new clutch kit?
5 Finger Diaphram clutch??? On a Shovel??
I'm needing a picture to help with this .....
Is this a 5-Speed??? or a 4-speed??

Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
5 Finger Diaphram clutch??? On a Shovel??
I'm needing a picture to help with this .....
Is this a 5-Speed??? or a 4-speed??
4 speed, I've done a few of these and they usually work pretty good if the fiber plates are decent.

OP sounds like the spring plates loosing tension or you are over tightening it. Problem persists you can get a heavier duty spring plate but it does increase the clutch pull. Dunno about the type F fluid I've always used DexronII

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-08-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:13 PM
notmyshvl
6th Gear

Twizted....thanks for the Talon instructions. It is a '81 4-spd 80" shovel. I'm around .02 with the straight edge measurement and still not getting enough pressure. It was sitting for over 7yrs so the spring plate may be weak. I was reading from the original repair receipt that ATF was used for the primary so I went back with it. Not much info out there on it and the HD manuel is out the window. May try Dexron if you thank it would make a difference?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:31 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Hmmmm.... Luckily my 4-speed...adjusted per the FSM works pretty Damn Good...Even compared to an EVO Diaphram setup...

Old 09-09-2015, 06:29 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Diaphragm clutches are very sensitive on adjustment, and will slip if overtightened...start at the loosest setting, and adjust half a turn at a time to see if you can find the "sweet spot".

Old 09-15-2015, 09:19 PM
notmyshvl
6th Gear

Update......Changed the existing unknown brand 5 disk clutch for a Barnett wet/dry 6 disk clutch. Replaced ATF fluid, adjusted cable and clutch diaphragm per instructions, and spent most of the weekend trying to get it to slip. No slip and bike is liking a little cooler temperatures. Nice when something works out as it should. Thanks for the help.