Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oops... rear chain...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 10:18 AM
72_shovel
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oops... rear chain...

Light turns green... Ease off the clutch, feed some throttle... clutch is all the way out now, and I'm rollin' in 1st... halfway through the intersection I hear an AWFUL noise. Kind of a grinding. Pulled the clutch back in and walked the bike across the intersection to avoid being crushed by a semi. Hopped off, looked down, rear chain is wedged between the sprocket/brake drum and the chain guard... this is the first time it's left me stranded in over a year of owning the bike.
I'll hopefully have time to tear into it tonight after work, but I was wondering if anyone here has had this happen, and what kind of damage should I expect? I tightened the chain just a couple thousand miles ago, and have checked it periodically since then, but could it have just gotten so loose to the point that it jumped off? Or could I have f***ed something up inside the primary?
I understand it's impossible to give me anything definite without looking at it, but I'm just hoping for an idea of what I have in store.
Thanks, - Danny

Old 10-07-2015, 10:24 AM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might get off easy if it's not balled up in the primary. Had that happen on mine a few years ago, but the chain came up and slapped me across the back. Scared the hell right out of me too.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 AM
72_shovel
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigfoot1
Might get off easy if it's not balled up in the primary. Had that happen on mine a few years ago, but the chain came up and slapped me across the back. Scared the hell right out of me too.
Yeah, that would kinda spook me too! It doesnt look like it's balled up, it's hanging low and is not too far off the sprocket... so I'm thinking just get it back on the rear sprocket, tighten everything up, and try rolling around the driveway.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Look at the teeth on the sprockets it they are rounded off of leaning forward it's roached and also check the adjusters & axle I have seen them back off or break before. If it's jumped it's time to replace it, a standard cheap non oring chain is junk in just 3000 to 5000 miles.