Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

shovelhead quagmire

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 05:12 PM
1984shovelhead
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shovelhead quagmire

Hi guys been kicking around the idea of getting an S&S shovel crate motor for my 84 FLH or maybe the S&S sidewinder kit.Apreciate any input. Bought this bike brand new and still love it.Just a little lacking in the power dept.Have several other street bikes and not interested in getting something new...too many vehicles to keep up with.Loving the 84 especially since I got new YSS adjustable shocks for the back.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2015, 10:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,911 Likes on 17,472 Posts

Two trains of thought here, while a crate motors sweet if you have the cash big down side is now you have the bike re-registered and titled as a special construction cause the numbers don't match any more and that's lots of headaches in some states so do your homework first.

Second is building up what you have and there are lots of ways to make more ponies on a shovel, again do the homework. Some guy like stroker kits while keeping the bore stock, myself I like 3-5/8" bore with a 4-1/4" stock stroke for 88". Got almost 100k out of mine before the old cases gave out. Shovels will take 93" well also as long you keep the compression reasonable. Anything bigger you really need to be a mechanic yourself as she'll need much attention and the life goes down.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Two trains of thought here, while a crate motors sweet if you have the cash big down side is now you have the bike re-registered and titled as a special construction cause the numbers don't match any more and that's lots of headaches in some states so do your homework first.
Changing an engine does not make it a special construction vehicle.

No state requires that the engine serial number and vin match each other.

The engine serial number must match the number on the registration when applicable, but many states do not require engine numbers, only the vehicle identification number.

Harley is one of the few manufacturers that matches these numbers, most manufacturers do not.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:56 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

If you want to save your original motor, and you got the bucks, by all means, get a S&S crate. Like Twisted says, 88" to 93" motors have a high degree of reliability, and put out great horsepower and torque numbers. With the right engine builder and tuner, you can pull 110+ rear wheel horsepower out of those motors. The downside to bumping your motor is the rest of the driveline takes a beating. Might as well upgrade to a Baker transmission and a high performance clutch. Blast your frame and check all the welds before throwing a stroker to it. Service all the bearings in the swingarm and front fork.
Dan, after 1969, most states register the bike off of frame numbers. They do have a option to put engine numbers on the title, but it is not required. Most of us, you, me and Twisted, who have been riding for a few decades know that there is a unwritten law about "Riding while Biker". Cop pulls you over, checks the numbers, they don't match and you bike is confiscated until you clear it up by showing the paperwork you get from S&S, Baker or others. I heard of that happening around Sturgis. Hell, I've been bothered at drag strips because my frame didn't have numbers (homemade drag bike frame).

Old 10-18-2015, 08:04 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

1969 - older the engine is titled. 1970- newer, frame is titled. There was a year or two I think in the '80's where the engine and the frame numbers did not match.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:38 AM
1984shovelhead
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input guys been wrenching this bike since new so no worries there lol.Im in new York and the closest engine builder to me is rosas guess ill get a price from them to install the sidewinder kit.the kit and s&s high output heads are about 3200 bux.I'dbe taking the motor out and dropping it off to **** toleave the whole bike.

Thanks

Old 10-18-2015, 11:00 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,221 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

The engine serial number must match the number on the registration when applicable, but many states do not require engine numbers, only the vehicle identification number.
Maybe not in your state, but out here (California) the frame AND engine number must match on HDs produced from 1970 to present day. Otherwise, it gets a "Blue Tag" on both the motor and frame and is titled for the year it is re-registered.

...and to the OP if you are seriously considering putting in a new power plant, make sure you check with your DMV first to see if it in anyway changes how the bike is registered.

Last edited by panz4ever; 10-18-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Harley is one of the few manufacturers that matches these numbers, most manufacturers do not.

Pure bullshit. Try a stop and nice Mr. Leo does a numbers check and they don't match and see fast your day goes to ****.

OP check with your local DMV before you do anything .

Old 10-18-2015, 03:23 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
[B]

Pure bullshit. Try a stop and nice Mr. Leo does a numbers check and they don't match and see fast your day goes to ****.

OP check with your local DMV before you do anything .
I`ll call you on that, since you are telling me I`m talking bullshit:

Post any state statute that says engine number must match vin, on any type of vehicle, don`t post the see what happens if you get pulled over BS, show some facts.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

California for one Missouri was another, on a harley the numbers don't match after 1970 you must blue tag it at the DMV after an inspection by the highway patrol or other state mandated office and it get re-titled as a special construction as of the year you do , you do not get to keep the original title. Had to do this in both states with non matching numbers and there is a leo or 2 in here who will chime in this sooner or later. You can knock yourself out chasing the legal speak I've already dealt with this in person multiple times.

While re-titling in itself may not be an issue some states require the bike to meet this years standards for inspections and for older models that gets real problematic. I've had to fight these battles first hand already it isn't hearsay.

Quick Reply: shovelhead quagmire