Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Four speed tips please

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:28 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Four speed tips please

My tranny started leaking real bad between pulley and tranny. Would pour out at idling.
Want tips on a fresh up for the tranny(NO leaks) while I have the motor out,the only seal I've replaced was the super nut two years ago. Return spring thoughts ??

Old 11-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

I can say that if the Nut holding the sprocket/pulley are not tight with a capital T Tight, they will leak past the spacer...always.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,902 Likes on 17,471 Posts

What Race said would be my first suspect after that the tiny ring seal or the bushing on the output gear would be next on the inspect list.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:08 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 2,872 Posts

on both counts would be correct - I see many today with the change in the gear oil we are seeing the 4 speed Hi gear bushing taking a big hit ( GL 5 gear oil ) as nothing in newer transmissions and differential's has any brass in it anymore the new oil is not helping

typical list 4 speed today in a rebuild

main ball bearing - set of loose rollers 88 in all or the 3 cage bearings 1977 and on ( look for damage in the case race very common - new counter shaft and its thrust washers ( if you re use the old ones the end play will be off as they wear stepped - both low and second gear bushings - shift dogs and shift forks and hats goes for third and forth as well no bushing on third unless its an early pan or knuckle - Hi gear bush needs special care to install and to fit / it is cheaper to just buy a new hi gear sometimes not always - ratchet top needs new springs all 4 / new selector bushing and operating arm bushing - the drum spring tube should be looked at as it wears inside and not seen unless you take it apart - they make 2 different main seals the one that comes with the kits is a cheap single lip open back tin seal - the good one has a double lip and is closed in the back with a second tin shield and it has painted sealant on its install face

the main shaft you need to mike the area the Hi gear bushing rides on that bushing will and does wear out the steel on the main shaft .001 is the max or a new installed bushing will wiggle dry on it

the engagement areas of the gears needs to be looked at as chunks and broken off pieces will just wreck the new dogs in a year --

its not cheap or easy - do it all with USA stuff is pricy -- or buying a china piece of junk off flea bay looks like a deal but its not

Last edited by johnjzjz; 11-28-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,902 Likes on 17,471 Posts

John you ever run the house brand gear sets from Mid-USA and Midwest ? I'll pony up for andrews main shaft, shift hardware and bushings but I've had very good results with their gear sets.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:26 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 2,872 Posts

yea twist - I have many sets of mid usa in 4 speeds and they do the job, I have even blended them into early units some MID usa some oem or even Andrews - they only come with the 70 up main shaft and I have a pile of them now, checked every one and they were in spec - its Korean steel imported to Taiwan for machining I was told but who knows / they do work one guy has 50,000 miles on his we did

Old 11-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Here ya go.

This and a super nut and your leaks should be a think of the past.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:05 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,196 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
bushing on the output gear would be next on the inspect list.
The "fix" in the video is another in a long list of gimmicks trying to fix the 4 speed leak...none of them work long term. If you have a leak, it is almost a sure thing that the output gear bushing is the root cause, and until you fix that, the leak will always comeback in short order.

http://shovelhead.us/pics/sheets/leakingtranny.pdf

Old 11-29-2015, 03:50 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Started messing with it today, here's the deal.
The locking cap screw was gone, locking tab broken and super nut came off with my fingers, causing the leak.
I pulled the main seal, spacer, o-ring and small seal from drive gear.
Don't see any damage except for the key on main shaft, have two on the way already though.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
I can say that if the Nut holding the sprocket/pulley are not tight with a capital T Tight, they will leak past the spacer...always.
Check the Spacer behind sprocket [or pulley]
or just replace it.

Quick Reply: Four speed tips please