Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

What to look for in a 1981 Shovel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Default What to look for in a 1981 Shovel?

Ok, so I may be getting a crack at a 1981 FLT at a good price. The only thing I know for sure is the bike is stock down to the pipes and carb and that it runs well. I don't even know mileage. But the bike is in good shape and taken care of from all appearances.

So in this time frame what should I be looking for mechanically? Is there anything you would be checking right away? Any thing that should be rebuilt, redone or replaced just by default. Any known issues?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

A "T" will be the first RubberMount and a 5 -speed. Unless the owner knew precisely what they are doing, the clutch probably slips...that is a heavy bike. Stock, the Fairing mounted to the frame, where the front end turned independently. Check the Chain case...the rear drive one, all "T" 's have an enclosed final drive, the boots become weather checked and develop holes/leaks. See how the "new" carburetor is Supported...on a 5-speed rubbermount, the carb support is critical, especially if it has a CV, or an E which are fairly heavy. Besides cosmetics, and the usual how does it run/how much does it leak type stuff...If I think of more specific to the "T" I will get back to ya.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it was rubber mounted. I was thinking of making this a project and stripping that awful 80s fairing off.

Do you think the rubber mounted engine is a detriment?

Old 11-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Depends what you want to do with it...it will Never [ever] be a 4-speed. That look is out of reach with the "T". Best you could do for a Look, is RoadKing, which to me, is Not an Option...millions of Road Kings out there...Why try to "build" one...want a Road King get a Road king...My opinion.
If you like to take long Smooth rides [I don't do any Interstate...None...I would rather ride 100 miles of Gravel road than one mile of interstate...But, The "T" is superb at gobbling up Highway...smoothly.No ride like it IMO!

BTW I especially Love the '80's fairing...Honestly Old School...Not Kinda Like, nor all Yuppiefied...Just honest old School....
If ya really want something "different" an Unmolested or Sort of Restored, "T" is the real deal!!!
How many ya see????

Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,167 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
I didn't realize it was rubber mounted. I was thinking of making this a project and stripping that awful 80s fairing off.

Do you think the rubber mounted engine is a detriment?
Depends on what you call a detriment...the 5 speed rubber mount set-up was the best ever put on a shovel as far as riding it goes. 5 speeds have no collectible status in today's market so you should be able to pick it up cheap. The drive train can easily be leak free...which is a lot more work to make happen on a 4 speed. The enclosed rear chain drive is PITA, and no one makes parts for it...but it is simple to just remove it and replace it with an o-ring chain...if it is even still there. It cannot be stripped down to make a "cool bike" out of it...if you can't stand the FLT fairing...you can put a batwing on it, or go for the roadking look.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:44 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain

All original, completely. But to my eyes that fairing and instrument cluster is well, just really 80's. Maybe it is being a child of the 80s that turns me off of it. Even the air cleaner is an eyesore to me.

But the right thing to do if I get it sounds like to leave it stock and love it for what it is.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:53 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

There is no way in hell that I would take a rare, early rubber mount FLT and pull the fairing off of it. That bike will only appreciate the more 'stock' that it remains.

Everybody (almost) butchered their early bikes, so a near stock one is a rarity. JMHO

Old 11-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain

Not almost stock, 100% stock down to the pipes even.

I always had a rule not to touch old stock bikes, having messed with some other brands through the years. But I figured this one was not remotely collectable. I stand corrected. I promise I will change nothing.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:08 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Not almost stock, 100% stock down to the pipes even.

I always had a rule not to touch old stock bikes, having messed with some other brands through the years. But I figured this one was not remotely collectable. I stand corrected. I promise I will change nothing.

... and we'll be keeping an eye on you!

Old 11-29-2015, 07:17 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

All original, completely. But to my eyes that fairing and instrument cluster is well, just really 80's.
how very odd that an original 1981 would actually look like one!!!!!
If ya want a bike that looks like eveyone elses...they are available everywhere...
If Ya want something noteably different...You found it.
Even the MoCo and the Yuppie hordes are recognizing the "style" of the "T"..
Don't remember the name they gave it...but I recognize the Fairing!!!
Look at any Dealer....

Last edited by Racepres; 11-29-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: What to look for in a 1981 Shovel?