Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

help me rebuild my baby

Old 01-02-2016, 11:22 AM
vilheim11@hotmail.com
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me rebuild my baby

https://www.gofundme.com/8efm7xbg

Please help me fix my baby.. i owned her for a Few days before she caught fire. I only drove her once, had to go to hawaii for some military stuff, and decided to let a friend borrow her. Well, this is what happened. I'm struggling to finish rebuilding her because of my limited income. If anyone could help that would be appreciated greatly..1

72 flh

Last edited by vilheim11@hotmail.com; 01-02-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:46 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,522 Likes on 2,865 Posts

its not that bad i have fixed a lot worse = you could switch the wire harness out and power wash the hell out if it and ride it like that

yea i know but your a year away from riding it if you go into it, and a month if you just fix only what it takes to ride it = plus no one will steal it off base

instagram has a chopperswap board for stuff - every wire for the bike in a complete harness is 100 bucks

-
take the diagram to staples and blow it up to 2 feet by 3 feet so its easy to see and stick it in a walmart picture frame 6 bucks and you can note the plastic with an erasable marker

change all the hoses all of them and the clamps 50 bucks - front brake line 70 bucks with the fluid or the post garage should give you the fluid and a parking spot as its small

change all the fluids - buy a set of china gas tanks and a petcock with new gas caps 200 bucks - the battery may be ok if not they are 100 bucks

if you have a 1000 bucks to spend its up and going in a month

Old 01-02-2016, 03:53 PM
vilheim11@hotmail.com
6th Gear

I didn't think it was that bad either.. i did exactly what you suggested, but then once I got into it, the fire did much more damage than originally thought. I pulled off my primary and it melted my clutch, so then I took it to my friends shop and he pulled the head and the insides were damaged from the fire department putting their hose on the fire and it sucked in water.. rusted the jugs, lifters went bad.. all the seals were melted. Basically the motor needs a ground up rebuild now

Old 01-02-2016, 04:23 PM
vilheim11@hotmail.com
6th Gear

These were before the fire

Old 01-02-2016, 05:17 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you know why it caught fire? That sucks man... wish I could help.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:24 PM
vilheim11@hotmail.com
6th Gear

From what im told, Fuel line the owner before me used that span the two tanks wasn't rated for fuel. It split and hit the exhaust causing the fire. Lesson from this, always do your routine maintenance before you ride/lend your bike. Also, full coverage insurance lol

Old 01-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Speedjester
Intermediate

If you don't have to split the case.. Should be a easy fix...

Old 01-02-2016, 05:30 PM
vilheim11@hotmail.com
6th Gear

It's about 5 Grand total to fix. I had almost all of it saved up but then had an emergency and had to use most of the money.. it's going on two years since it burnt and who knows when I'll be able to get her back on the road.. getting anxious as I'm sure you can imagine

Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,522 Likes on 2,865 Posts

to think the oil take stayed in tacked and the clutch melted is WOW when the front end is the most heat damage

Old 01-02-2016, 06:51 PM
vilheim11@hotmail.com
6th Gear

Outside of the tank looks good, but it cooked it too. Melted the gauge, battery was melted and acid came out. It didn't totally destroy it, but it did some damage. Craziest part is after the fire was put out, according to my friend, bike started back up and ran until it ran out of the little gas that was left. After seeing the inside of my motor, I have no idea how that happened lol these shovelheads want to run I guess

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help me rebuild my baby