Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

timer/distributor question - with pic

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:21 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default timer/distributor question - with pic

I'm trying to learn how to deal with this timer on this genny shovel - it is a manual advance unit - I think I understand how the adjusting stud works - it lets you set the limit to counterclockwise rotation so you an set the advance at a stationary point - to retard the timing - it appears I just rotate the timer clockwise - the whole unit rotates though (except the stem/base which is bolted to the case - the timer plate is also not very precise - I can wiggle it around some - this changes the points gap - it looks like the points plate is held on by some flimsy flex washer that is held by the cover spring - is this right????? C'mon Harley - WTF - I'm thinkin my timer is broke or something - but this is my first genny shovel

Old 02-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Sounds, and Looks Right to me...
Precision would come from a Complete rebuild...Can't blame the Company for a unit that has lasted 40 years now can we??
My '68 ran just fine even if a bit "sloppy"..Course, I didn't use it for a DragBike.

BTW I'm pretty sure that the advance was intended to be cable driven via left handlebar worm!! Mine was anyway!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:49 AM
ccislander
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

The points/condenser base plate is held on by the wavy 3/4 circular spring which is held in place by the ends of the cover clip. When installed correctly, the base plate will be held firmly in place.
There are 2 'w' shaped spots on the wavy spring that must be positioned properly, with the tips of the cover clip right under the middle of the 'w'. The base plate will then be securely fastened.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:53 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by ccislander
The points/condenser base plate is held on by the wavy 3/4 circular spring which is held in place by the ends of the cover clip. When installed correctly, the base plate will be held firmly in place.
There are 2 'w' shaped spots on the wavy spring that must be positioned properly, with the tips of the cover clip right under the middle of the 'w'. The base plate will then be securely fastened.

I think all that is in the Parts book, certainly in the service manual...
It used to be anyway!!!

Old 02-05-2016, 08:03 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

running it full advance all the time is what was done back in the day except for starting
as race said they work like a timex watch takes a licking and keeps on ticking - you can convert it to a magnetic pickup instead of the points < much better starting and drive ability - the parts for that are not easy to find in OEM dont brake anything

when i re do a bobber like yours i use a china distributor and remove the point plate and the advancer as they are junk - i install in the housing with the gear a new cyn unit with the bearings and a dyna S trigger = that gives me a retarded starting and idle at stops and an automatic swing advance to engine speed as everything uses that today - you can re use your ignition coil if its 5.0 ohms as it should be

Old 02-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

FWIW, a generator Shovel came OEM equipped with an auto-advance distributor.

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:06 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

FWIW, the 66-69 models came with an auto advance timer and not a manual advance unit. And has been pointed out the unit was designed for a left hand advance/retard that was wired through the handlebars. If you intend to use that you need to someone rig it so that it will not back off from full advance once it is running and you are going down the road.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:08 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

we used a spring back in the day as it advances towards the genny / it pops in the cable hole in the pin on the dizzys side

Old 02-05-2016, 01:36 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

the manual (Clymer) makes it sound as though I can measure the degrees of retard I would set when turning the timer clockwise - but I see no marks to reference - the whole top turns and I do not see any stationary reference marks. Bike starts and runs great - idles nice with a super E - dont even need the enricher to start it and it is well below freezing here

Old 02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the carb float is too high or your jetting is off it should not start with out the choke if its tuned correctly

you need to look in the pre shovel book about setting the timing on that dizzy as it needs to be correct or you will not if blow a hole in one of the pistons - the hemi dome does not like pre ignition spark knocking

Quick Reply: timer/distributor question - with pic