Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

going from magnito to electronic ignition

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 PM
mttmaster300
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going from magnito to electronic ignition

hello everyone i bought a 83 superglide fxe the previous owner stripped the ignition system off and put a magnito on there i want to put the stock electronic ignition back on i was wondering how difficult it was do put it back on im also putting the electric start back on and have alot of wiring work to do becuase hand controls where all taken off but start with this any help would be great just nervous dont want to mess it up

Old 02-07-2016, 08:01 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

its not that bad to do = you need a factory parts and service books,

picture up the bike and what you still have and what is missing some of us have pieces that could fill in, both sides as you want mag replacement and electric start to be re added

i like the ultima ignition Midwest mc parts it fits in the original type cone its all i use in my shop shovels and evos and it totally adjustable for what ever combo you have stock to wild

Old 02-09-2016, 02:14 PM
mttmaster300
5th Gear

alright i dont think im missing much although i do have alot of wiring to do (no handlebar controls ) and is this the ignition system you reccomend?

Attached Thumbnails going from magnito to electronic ignition-e44e2886-0d53-4911-8025-0490ca258f72.jpg   going from magnito to electronic ignition-2f5394f9-5ca6-4a93-a871-87a75d614e69.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 03:10 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

yes it is the coils are one works one dont kind of thing, but i would start off with it and see how it goes they have up dated the coils i was told ???? who knows

most belt drive clutch hubs have the holes for a starter ring gear and then an add on starter for a belt drive can be added if you want it to look just like it does now,but is electric and kick start

Old 02-09-2016, 04:32 PM
mttmaster300
5th Gear

i do like the look but there isnt anything for starter to bolt too it attaches to the inner primary case

Old 02-09-2016, 04:34 PM
mttmaster300
5th Gear

would i have to redo the timing on the bike once i pull manito off ? timing on that thing i dont have the slightest clue how to do... the book i have doesnt explain it very well i and i do not have a timing light ... i will get one if i need too though

Old 02-09-2016, 06:17 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

no the ultima is static set on TDC - all you have to do is make sure you are on TDC front cylinder and you adjust the unit in the cone so the light goes off and your done - it comes with great directions

the trans has a Y on it for an inner primary you bolt up to that - look into belt drive starters then ask questions

Old 02-09-2016, 07:17 PM
mttmaster300
5th Gear

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
no the ultima is static set on TDC - all you have to do is make sure you are on TDC front cylinder and you adjust the unit in the cone so the light goes off and your done - it comes with great directions

the trans has a Y on it for an inner primary you bolt up to that - look into belt drive starters then ask questions

OK perfect thanks for your help I will let you know when I get to that point I'm currently out of work I am a tow truck driver I was hit by a car so I'm out of work for the time being so it's going to be a little bit for me to order that ignition system plus in sure I will have more questions when it comes to the wiring part of the whole bike because I have to rewire the key switch in along with all the handlebar controls would you happen to know if there was just a wiring harness I could buy where I just hook everything up and if so where I could find it I'm having trouble finding one

Old 02-09-2016, 07:34 PM
mttmaster300
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mttmaster300
OK perfect thanks for your help I will let you know when I get to that point I'm currently out of work I am a tow truck driver I was hit by a car so I'm out of work for the time being so it's going to be a little bit for me to order that ignition system plus in sure I will have more questions when it comes to the wiring part of the whole bike because I have to rewire the key switch in along with all the handlebar controls would you happen to know if there was just a wiring harness I could buy where I just hook everything up and if so where I could find it I'm having trouble finding one
Would this work for a wirino harness I know I will have to buy the handlebar wiring harness for the controls but would this be good for the starter relay and ignition etc

Old 02-09-2016, 07:52 PM
LostInNM
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is easy to bypass the rat's nest of original wiring for the electric starter.
Buy a stater button, find a place to mount it, and connect to "ignition on" and solenoid trigger.
MUCH more reliable than stock.
Especially if you clean all the battery and starter solenoid contacts first.

Last edited by LostInNM; 02-09-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: going from magnito to electronic ignition