Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Hand Controls for '83 Shovel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Zachary Goode
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hand Controls for '83 Shovel?

Hey guys

Looking to swap out my hand control for some new ones. One side is a bit stripped and won't tighten all the way and the switches are all rubbed off, etc. I just thought some new ones (or vintage ones) would look and work better.

I have had a hell of a time finding ones that are compatible with my '83 FXSB and to add to the struggle, the new bitchin' buckhorns I just threw on there are non-dimpled, so I need something compatible.

Can anyone send me a link to ones that will work?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachary Goode
Hey guys

Looking to swap out my hand control for some new ones. One side is a bit stripped and won't tighten all the way and the switches are all rubbed off, etc. I just thought some new ones (or vintage ones) would look and work better.

I have had a hell of a time finding ones that are compatible with my '83 FXSB and to add to the struggle, the new bitchin' buckhorns I just threw on there are non-dimpled, so I need something compatible.

Can anyone send me a link to ones that will work?
Without "dimples" yer gonna be doing internal wiring in the Bars...Lots of fun there...
While lots of Folks like the later controls...I still like the Compact, stockers...Even the little stickers are still available [gotta search] and a Bit of Paint or Better Yet, Polish...and they are nicer than any out there...In My Eye.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:35 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

if you have original buttons and they still work fine then switch them if you buy the china replacements - or dont throw them away the switches and buttons because you will be switching them after dealing with the china crap - the covers seem to work well - well almost

The following 2 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
Racepres (03-29-2016), TwiZted Biker (04-02-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:18 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

^^^ Thanks for the reminder...I buy every ragged out set of switch housings I see at Swaps...Never gonna fool with Chiwanese switches for the '73- '81 switch housing again...And Not the Housings either!!! The originals were pretty good aluminum...some modicum of attention and they are Dandy..

Old 03-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Zachary Goode
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess my other option is to dremel out the control pod to make room for the wires. There's a step by step tutorial here:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4847

For now, I just put them on kinda jenky to see if I like the bars and everything works ok, just not not flush.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:59 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

I guess my other option is to dremel out the control pod to make room for the wires. There's a step by step tutorial here:

For now, I just put them on kinda jenky to see if I like the bars and everything works ok, just not not flush.
1970 Ambo Motor guzzi first year left shift and they made it backwards to shift

Old 03-31-2016, 07:04 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

Dude, not on my bike!!!!

Spend the time to drill out the bars and run the wires internally. Looks 100% better and you do not need to dremel a good set of controls. You do it that way, next year you will want to run the wires internally anyway and will need new controls.

One oval shaped hole under each control and then a large oval opening in the middle of the bars facing down towards the trees. You said you are using buckhorns, super easy to pull wires through smooth bends. T bars, that is a whole different party.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:32 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,381 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Dude, not on my bike!!!!

Spend the time to drill out the bars and run the wires internally. Looks 100% better and you do not need to dremel a good set of controls. You do it that way, next year you will want to run the wires internally anyway and will need new controls.

One oval shaped hole under each control and then a large oval opening in the middle of the bars facing down towards the trees. You said you are using buckhorns, super easy to pull wires through smooth bends. T bars, that is a whole different party.
I agree. Running your wires internally takes a little time, but it's pretty easy to do and looks great. You will need one of those little pin tools (and some patients) but it's worth the effort.