Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

70's style Shovelhead Bags and Hardware issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:24 AM
William McCoy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70's style Shovelhead Bags and Hardware issues

I need some help. I just "completed" my custom build which included 70's style Shovelhead bags and an 80's style FXR fairing on my 2015 Dyna. Hellofva project. I love the way these bags look and operate-- HOWEVER-- I am finding the locks and latches somewhat troublesome. I can't go more than 5 miles without stopping to relock these damn things.

From what I can see-- the latch "hook" doesn't hang over far enough to keep the lid from vibrating off the hook. When I try to move the tumbler, I can't get the ket out. Very frustrating after such a long build. I can't even get both locks on both bags to be relatively in the same horizontal configuration... have basically given up on that wet dream.

Does anyone have any experience with these types of locks? The hardware on this build is all new hardware from V-Twin. They are basically typical hardware store locks-- nothing special. Is there perhaps an upgrade- Barrel key?

Any advise is greatly appreciated! Here are some pics so you know what I am dealing with.

...that damn lock!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,202 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Most people drill the front hardware and install a "hairpin" clip so they can't fly off when they come unlocked. The only mod I have seen that works 100% is to install a tourpack latch on the rear.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:31 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Most people drill the front hardware and install a "hairpin" clip so they can't fly off when they come unlocked. The only mod I have seen that works 100% is to install a tourpack latch on the rear.

Certainly...but, Not any Chiwanese Crap...it will fail...
My OE Shovel latches are still going strong...even if I can get into them with a Small screwdriver[holding mouth just so].

Old 04-13-2016, 10:28 AM
William McCoy
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. Do you mean the actual tourpack "buckle" latch or the lock/barrel key? How would the hairpin mod work?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:30 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,785 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Yep ... "Hair Pin" ( hitch pin ) That's what I did/have on mine. Simple and effective.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:35 AM
William McCoy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Yep ... "Hair Pin" ( hitch pin ) That's what I did/have on mine. Simple and effective.
Thanks Uncle Larry....I'm having a hard time visualizing how to install the hitch pin. Would you happen to have a photo of yours, by chance?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Stop at a hardware store and pick up a couple of "hitch pins". They are available in various sizes. Pick one to your liking. Sometimes they are available in stainless steel too. Simply drill a small hole in the "tongue" that sticks into the bracket at the front of the bag just a tad bigger than the diameter of the pin. Once done you won't have to worry about the front opening.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Hitch Pin

Old 04-13-2016, 03:45 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,202 Likes on 5,397 Posts

The big one like used on a tractor are referred as hitch pins...the little small ones are usually called hairpin cotters.

http://rivetsonline.com/7-8-1-steel-...n-cotters.html

Old 04-13-2016, 04:46 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

The big one like used on a tractor are referred as hitch pins...the little small ones are usually called hairpin cotters.

http://rivetsonline.com/7-8-1-steel-...n-cotters.html
You say tomato I say ketchup ... :>)

Quick Reply: 70's style Shovelhead Bags and Hardware issues