Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil-related questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 02:44 PM
ShovelGirl
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil-related questions

Hey guys... 1984 FXWG Shovel "Custom" (that was model, not referring to custom work), purchased in 1990. Has primary chain and secondary belt drive with 'dry' primary, [original setup, not sealed, 'dry' clutch].

1. Am replacing oil lines -- is there a way to replace the 3 hoses going to inner primary without taking the inner primary off??

2. Am getting what I think (by the smell) is a gear oil leak. After days of trying to track it down, I saw a tiny drip coming off the bottom of the secondary belt drive sprocket, right there where it sits behind the inner primary... the drip comes off the sprocket and falls on to the return line down on the primary... Any guesses where this might be originating from?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:53 PM
FL54
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 290 Posts

Sounds like a transmission shaft seal leak. It's a pretty common problem.

The following users liked this post:
ShovelGirl (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 2,871 Posts

it could be worse then that, as it is a 4 speed bike, and the bushing inside of HI gear wears out causing an opening to the gear oil and no amount of seal changing will fix it, you need to remove the gear box and strip it to the screws as HI gear is the first thing installed inside an empty transmission to fix it correctly -

inner primary needs to be removed to insure your lines are correctly installed - but 2 will come off and on >>> but its a thing to do and in the end easyer to remove the inner primary, to bad you on the other coast we would give you a lift and tools and have at it

ShovelGirl (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 09:03 PM
ShovelGirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FL54
Sounds like a transmission shaft seal leak. It's a pretty common problem.
Yeah, I continued researching and have read as much... watched a guy take off his inner primary on his 2006 Dyna WG on YouTube to replace one of the seals on that shaft.

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
it could be worse then that, as it is a 4 speed bike, and the bushing inside of HI gear wears out causing an opening to the gear oil and no amount of seal changing will fix it, you need to remove the gear box and strip it to the screws as HI gear is the first thing installed inside an empty transmission to fix it correctly -
That's interesting as I read another guy who tried all the usual fixes (replacing all the seals) and nothing worked for him. Maybe that was his problem. I hope it's not mine. This bike has super-low original miles (23k).

inner primary needs to be removed to insure your lines are correctly installed - but 2 will come off and on >>> but its a thing to do and in the end easyer to remove the inner primary,
I believe it. I have looked at it from every angle and aside from the return line which is at least somewhere reachable, I don't see how I can reach the others... I can't even SEE where the oiler meets the inner primary.

to bad you on the other coast we would give you a lift and tools and have at it
What a super-kind gesture. Thanks for the thought! Well, I am replacing the main oil lines for sure (to and from cooler, filter and tank)... the ones going to the primary might have to wait.

BTW, to eliminate the possibility of more than one leak, I shoved a wadded paper towel up into the space next to the belt sprocket to stop that from weeping.... and sure enough there was still a drip coming off the bottom frame... looking with a flashlight I noticed it was weeping from further forward b/c the frame was shiny back to the point where there is a cross-brace in the frame, just about even with the center of the primary.

Boy do I wish I could walk under that thing with a GIANT LIGHT.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:28 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

we use a big mirror to see whats going on, and a flat led cheep one from wal mart and for a car 23,000 miles is nothing but the original trans date for that type of gear box is 1936 and lots of parts are still the same even in 84, the bushing in the gear is the same type the gear is a little bit different

in the end you will have to have it looked after, as the leak is not going away and like i said about the seal - if you decide to have a seal changed do not be disappointed if it comes back in a week or so

Old 04-25-2016, 10:20 PM
ShovelGirl
Intermediate

If replacing the seal doesn't necessarily fix it for very long, what do people do? Upgrade to a different gear box? Or they just keep changing seal(s) when/as needed?

Old 04-25-2016, 11:54 PM
Squidbilly*
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelGirl
If replacing the seal doesn't necessarily fix it for very long, what do people do? Upgrade to a different gear box? Or they just keep changing seal(s) when/as needed?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOVELHEAD-P...rZGcB8I86qOF0Q

ShovelGirl (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:53 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the 4 speed unit is a good strong trans and like a timex watch - if someone has put in a GL 5 gear oil to it the brass bushings will wear out quickly - its an old school unit and new yadda yadda oil for twinkies is a no no - originally harley used 50W engine oil in them then 85/140 gear oil GL 4

while i have used saddlebagrails replacement seal spacer with the o ring inside of it and have them in stock - it is used by us in a new manufactured transmission to increase the life of the unit - not after its worn to the point of leaking

Old 04-26-2016, 07:00 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,194 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelGirl
None of the band-aids that people sell for the leak will do anything if you don't fix the bushing.

http://www.caimag.com/wordpress/2010...real-solution/

ShovelGirl (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 07:26 PM
ShovelGirl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the 4 speed unit is a good strong trans and like a timex watch - if someone has put in a GL 5 gear oil to it the brass bushings will wear out quickly - its an old school unit and new yadda yadda oil for twinkies is a no no - originally harley used 50W engine oil in them then 85/140 gear oil GL 4
THANK YOU! I had always used HD Trans oil for it, but this last time I changed it (just days ago) I didn't want to make the jaunt to the shop and just picked up 75/90 Gear Oil from WalMart, which I read was fine. But after reading this I looked at the bottle and it is GL5! I had no idea gear oil had ratings but of course. DUH!! Will be draining that oil out tonight and filling with GL4 or 50W. Which do you recommend? I imagine synth or synth blend is ok?

while i have used saddlebagrails replacement seal spacer with the o ring inside of it and have them in stock - it is used by us in a new manufactured transmission to increase the life of the unit - not after its worn to the point of leaking
I am not sure if it's worn or if the seals shrunk from the bike sitting too long without being ridden. I was in a situation for the past year and could not ride it. Still haven't had a chance as have to change the main oil lines before I do that. (Waiting on hose to arrive... was shipped wrong stuff and had to re-order.) Noticed the main lines that run under frame were worn to the mesh so don't want to chance it until i replace those.

But I am getting a real education here and appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Oil-related questions