Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

LED "DayMaker" headlight on an FLH...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 11:55 PM
BassFace
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED "DayMaker" headlight on an FLH...

I just installed an LED headlight "DayMaker" on my '75 FLH. Has anyone else done this? It's 1000 times brighter than the halogen I had eating at my electrical system and obviously drawing less amps. The only drawback that I can tell, outside of the normal LED crap is... I'm killing a tradition of low light driving.

The question is this... Is it better to keep it all original Or... Upgrade the things that make you safer/more comfortable (aka lights, brakes, the seat...)

Moral dilemma here. I'm either going to love the LED or hate it. It's such a dramatic change I can't ignore it. With the lights on, it looks like a 2016 bike...

Your opinions are appreciated,

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (07-09-2020)
Old 05-06-2016, 07:10 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,922 Likes on 2,565 Posts

If you are putting it in a museum, stock is the way to go. If you are riding it, a lot and at night, lights that work are a big plus. My Wide Glide has a very cool custom 4" headlight on it, I do not lead the group on a night ride. It looks cool, but boy it doesn't light up much of the road. A maglite may do a better job. My Road Glide was the dual DayMakers, well named piece of equipment. They work very, very well. Love them on a back road at night.

I think from your posts you only have the one bike so I would consider a better headlight a reasonable compromise. Plus it can be changed back quickly if going to some kind of show. Overall it is your bike and your call, but for a daily rider I wouldn't complain. The brakes are a different conversation because of the amount of work and parts changed to accomplish. But I have seen Shovels of your vintage with early 2000's FL legs and dual discs, I am sure it stops better but........

Old 05-06-2016, 10:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Lights, brakes and handling are all fair game for upgrades for a bikes that ridden and not just looked at, no such thing as too much light out there.

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (07-09-2020)