Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:51 PM
docman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead Question

Hey guys,

I am a big old Harley fan and I found a Shovelhead that is looking like it maybe in my price range. I was reading about it and he has said about it this in part of his discription " it has solid lifters due to the cam so it rattles". My question is, is that rattle bad or normal? I looked up the solid lifters so I understand those more but I would like to know if that rattle is normal that he is talking about? Also one more question how do you know when your solid lifters need to be adjusted and can you still ride your Shovel with out it adjusting the right away?

Thank you for your advice information and I look forward to learning more about shovels from you guys in the future. As I know just enough to get into trouble and I would like to know enough to fix little things that go wrong and possibly fix more stuff when winter hits if it needs to be fixed.

Peace

Old 05-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by docman
I found a Shovelhead that is looking like it maybe in my price range.
Can you give us a better description than that?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:53 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

post up pictures of the machine

Old 05-10-2016, 11:45 AM
theCoach
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Solids are a little noisy, but it is a Shovel. Gonna make all kinds of sounds, and as you become more familiar with the machine, you'll grow to interpret all the sounds as normal/not normal. little chance at all that the lifters are adjusted too tight, loose won't be a problem to ride right away. Adjust the lifters cold, overnight cold, is the way I've always adjusted mine. welcome, ride that Shovel and carry some tools. They require some regular adjusting/tightening, etc. gotta love em.

The following users liked this post:
docman (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 03:06 PM
docman
3rd Gear

Thank you for the response. I know just enough to get in trouble with shovels but would like to know more and learn more and I have seen some choppers with sugar bear front ends and shovel motors and they just look great. Also original shovels to me look just as great as well I do not really know why I just like them.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

So, are you going to tell us what machine you have, or are you just making up this stuff as you go?

The following users liked this post:
FLHS1990 (10-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
So, are you going to tell us what machine you have, or are you just making up this stuff as you go?
What he said + what the heck is a "sugar bear" front end?

..."it has solid lifters due to the cam so it rattles"..WTF? Solids may give you a slight more ticking sound than hydraulics on cold starts, but properly set up they work just fine. If it "rattles, you need to chase dwon the sound. Is the cam the correct choice for the solids? Are the rockers worn and sloppy? Are the tappet blocks worn to the point that the tappets are too loose. Was the cam end play set up correctly?

Sorry but someone tells you what I just quoted you were told, they are blowing smoke up your a$$. You need to walk away from the bike. The seller knows nothing and you are looking at a potential money pit because by your own admission, you know just enough to get yourself in trouble. And when you go look again, take someone who has a good basis of understanding old iron. From your statements, you only know enough to get and earn a whole lot of buyers remorse.

Last edited by panz4ever; 05-10-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,923 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Sugar Bear is a California builder that was/is famous for very long front ends. People have been putting them on some ugly bikes for years. The man himself used them in a very tasty way, I know he built this bike it also may be his personal ride. I saw it in person in Sturgis a long time ago, very nice bike:

I believe he has retired at this point.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:24 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Sugar Bear is Not really Retired...just kind of Cutting Back. I was going to get a set of Rockers from him but, they are no Longer a Custom order thing, he has like 4 different arraingements, and That's pretty much the Choices..

Old 05-11-2016, 09:12 AM
docman
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I apologize I have been trying to post pictures but I am having trouble. I do not have the machine yet so I was trying to show you what it is. The stuff about Sugar Bear front ends was just a side note on why I like shovels. Sorry.

The bike I want is a 1976 Shovel. It is not stock but not completely custom. It is the 1200 engine and I tried to post a picture of it so you guys can see the machine I want but I am having trouble with the forum letting me.

Quick Reply: Shovelhead Question