Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Pushrods help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 09:33 PM
Bdc0923
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pushrods help

Hello, I have a 73 flh with 13,000 miles pretty much all original that I inherited from my grandfather.
Hoping Somebody might point me in the right direction. My pushrod tappet block starting pooling oil around the pushrods so I went out and got some new cork replacement seals the old ones were probably original.
Started removing the pushrods and got the first exhaust pushrod out no problem and got it back in, second one was the intake right behind the first one and cannot get enough clearance to pull it past the lifters cup to get it out. I have hydraulic lifters and I am attempting this with the pushrod at its lowest point and the other intake at its highest point in travel. I'm thinking maybe my hydraulic lifters aren't compressing to allow the extra room to remove the pushrod? Am I going to have to remove the tappet Block?
Any advice on this would be awsome and much appreciated! Nice weather is hopefully on its way.....

Attached Thumbnails Pushrods help-image.jpeg  
Old 05-15-2016, 06:22 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

I had the same problem getting one of my pushrods out of my shovelhead, but it didn't seem like I needed that much more to get it out. I got a pair of needlenose pliers, grabbed the bottom of the pushrod, used the top of the tappet block as a fulcrum and gently pried it out.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Bdc0923
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea that's my next step, I was just hoping there was another possible trick or something I may be missing?
Only need maybe a 1/8 inch to get it out if that, wIll give that a try. Thx for the reply.
Will let you know if it works.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:17 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

same issue with my rear exhaust... had to remove the head...

Old 05-15-2016, 02:53 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Stock pushrods the front exhaust is longer than the other 3 make sure you get them in the right holes and like others have said the old needle nose pliers trick works wonders.

For the install just pull the insert out of the lifter, use a paper clip to shove up in the little tube sticking out the bottom and push on the cup on the spring to blow out any oil in the lifter and reinstall it you should be able to pop the pushrods right back in and this will make adjusting easier and less breed down time .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 05-15-2016 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bdc0923 (05-15-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 03:35 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Stock pushrods the front exhaust is longer than the other 3 make sure you get them in the right holes and like others have said the old needle nose pliers trick works wonders.

For the install just pull the insert out of the lifter, use a paper clip to shove up in the little tube sticking out the bottom and push on the cup on the spring to blow out any oil in the lifter and reinstall it you should be able to pop the pushrods right back in and this will make adjusting easier and less breed down time .
Twizted, are you sure the pushrods aren't the same size on a 73 FLH?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:24 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tpb857
If they are stock, that is.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:41 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdc0923
Hello, I have a 73 flh with 13,000 miles pretty much all original that I inherited from my grandfather.
Hoping Somebody might point me in the right direction. My pushrod tappet block starting pooling oil around the pushrods so I went out and got some new cork replacement seals the old ones were probably original.
Started removing the pushrods and got the first exhaust pushrod out no problem and got it back in, second one was the intake right behind the first one and cannot get enough clearance to pull it past the lifters cup to get it out. I have hydraulic lifters and I am attempting this with the pushrod at its lowest point and the other intake at its highest point in travel. I'm thinking maybe my hydraulic lifters aren't compressing to allow the extra room to remove the pushrod? Am I going to have to remove the tappet Block?
Any advice on this would be awsome and much appreciated! Nice weather is hopefully on its way.....
Wow that is a fine looking FLH there.

I had the same problem getting one of my pushrods out of my shovelhead, but it didn't seem like I needed that much more to get it out. I got a pair of needlenose pliers, grabbed the bottom of the pushrod, used the top of the tappet block as a fulcrum and gently pried it out.
For my 84 FLH it is the rear intake that is a buggar to remove. If needed I do it as described above.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:11 PM
tpb857
Road Captain

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Wow that is a fine looking FLH there.

For my 84 FLH it is the rear intake that is a buggar to remove. If needed I do it as described above.
That sure is a great looking bike. My rear intake was the one I had problems with too. It was easy with the pliers.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

My 72 wasn't

Quick Reply: Pushrods help