Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Andrews "late A" vs "F" cam comparence?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:09 AM
valvebeater
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Andrews "late A" vs "F" cam comparence?

Hello all,
My '82 FLH with about 3k miles SMOH, had leaky rocker boxes when I got it a few years ago. I have the heads off now, had the blue disintergrating type rocker gaskets installed.

The PO had installed an Andrew cam, I have the original box, labeled as a "late A" cam, I assume this is the same or nearly the same specs as the current A2 cams. The bike ran great but all the power seemed to come on at about 5k rpm.
I also have the "F" can that was previously used in this motor and it is in excellent shape.
I would like the power band to be in a lower rm range than the Late A. Can someone tell me how the F cam would perform as compared to the late A?

TIA,
Wayne Z

Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 AM
vanmor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lost the post. Let's try this again.

If your compression is stock, look up this chart and start with the factory "H" cam.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...l_bydur_ql.htm

You probably won't go beyond the Andrews "1" or any like it by the other manufacturers. Also, you can't go with as much lift with the later Shovels. Keep it near.430 lift. or your going to need head work.

In general, the bigger the motor, the bigger the cam you can run. However, I base my cam selections on compression first and then vary the selection via other parameters like lift, duration, rpm range, and final drive gearing.

Last edited by vanmor; 05-30-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:19 AM
valvebeater
Stage IV

Thanks for the reply. Pretty sure the motor has 8.35 pistons, .010 over. Also has S&S dual plug heads with valve seals.
The heads have triple valve springs and are so stiff my automotive spring compressor wanted to collapse sideways. I would like to run softer springs for longer lasting valve train and a cam with a lower rpm power range.

Thanks for the chart but it is of little help to me for the Andrews"F" or "late A" cams, which I have, are not listed. The "late A" is installed now, runs perfect but power range is higher in rpm than I like.
I am specificly looking for specs of or experience with the F cam as I may want to install it while the heads are off for new gaskets.

Thanks,
Wayne Z

Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 AM
vanmor
Cruiser

Wayne, if your .010 over on the pistons, I'd just round it up to 8.5. That's a great compression ratio to have. With the right cam, you should be at 7.5 to 7.8 on your dynamic compression.

From what I've read, Andrews doesn't make the "F" grind any more. It was made for folks who wanted to run the "A" but had a bit of a pining or detonation problem. To make that happen, they had to retard the "F" cam a bit or extend the duration a bit too.

I tend to like Comp Cams V-Thunder stuff because they are 30 minutes from my house and they can custom grind you a cam for not much more. I hear Leinweber is a great cam. They seem to have more realistic off the shelf grinds for today's fuels.

You have nice heads on that bike. Don't know why the three springs unless they came that was ready to go. Might want to call S&S and see what those spring pressures are.

I wonder what they put in the later Police FLHs ?

Old 05-30-2016, 10:48 PM
valvebeater
Stage IV

Thanks for the reply. Since it ran very good and strong with no pinging or hiccups, I'm just going to change to Andrews springs and put it back together.

Regards,

Wayne

Old 05-30-2016, 11:42 PM
vanmor
Cruiser

Sounds like a plan.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:22 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

I would suggest Kibblewhite springs, stronger than the Andrews, and then the use of an Andrews # 1 or #2 cam.
The "A" requires much more compression to be effective, the F will out-torque that A.
This info was not something I google-searched...........
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:26 PM
vanmor
Cruiser

Nothing like advice from an experienced machine shop.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:12 PM
valvebeater
Stage IV

Thanks for the replies. I may try the F cam now, it may suit my driving style better than the installed A.

Not realy shure of the comp ratio. At TDC the piston dome is exactly 1/2" above the top edge of the bore. Can anyone tell me what comp ratio that looks like?

Also, pardon my lack of knowledge but what is the advantage of the stronger KW springs over the Andrews?

Old 06-07-2016, 05:56 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

A good spring, will aid in keeping carbon from the valve seat, and valve face, better guide wear, etc.
Don't get me wrong as to think a lot more is better, but the KW's are only $63.00 retail, use your OE upper/lower collars, and handle up to .600" lift.
Scott

The following users liked this post:
rockett88s (Yesterday)