Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Trouble head blues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 05:02 PM
83hdfxrs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shovelhead starter problem... please help..

So I'm currently rebuilding a mean 1983 Harley fxrs 1340 it has STD heads, 3 angle valve job, port and polished, dual plugged, New Nitrated valve, new cast iron valve guides, vitron valve seals, new valve seats, two brand new jugs/ cylinder which have been honed, new chrome molly coated pistons, chrome molly rings, dyna tech electronic ignition, s&s oil pump and oil gear enlarged oil port in cam chest, vulcan hydrologic lifters, chrome molly coated adjustable pushrods, .485 lift cam, split rocker box oil lines, s&s shorty E carb, arrowhead 2.0 kw starter, rear belt drive, stp racing 5 speed tranny, dual brakes in front, aftermarket clutch hub and basket, new 40 amp starter relay, a lot more to list.

The problem I'm having is when the new starters grabs the starter ring gear it will spin a few times then stop, or just not at all, and if it does spin it's boggy as hell like a very weak spin. It's hooked to my 900 CCA truck batter, new starter relay, I've tried bypassing the relay and jumping the starter solenoid and does the same thing, I've tired taking all spark plugs out, putting it in 5 gear, lifting the rear tire off the ground, I can spin the compensator nut with a wrench and it spins fine, no broken of missing teeth, I've benched tested the starter and it spins fine. Does anyone have a clue what it would be it driving me nuts.

Last edited by 83hdfxrs; 05-29-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Starters dragging hard under load after all the trouble shooting you've done I'd suspect the brushes & armature are about toast, it's old enough. Can't remember but I believe the starter system & inner primary in the pics are off an evo, somebody in here will know for sure. My 82 FXR had the old prestolite shovel starter.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:33 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

'83 was a Prestolite certainly...
Having been "upgraded"...IDK...My '83 works just fine...un-moded.
Can't help with the newer stuff...don't got none...
BTW the tranny too looks to have been replaced with newer...at lest the door & cover.

Too many "Hot Rod" changes on that one to Guess.
But, that starter should spin the heck out of that old shovel...

Last edited by Racepres; 05-30-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:47 AM
vanmor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I want to help you. You have a Shovel FXR. I'm Jealous !

All kidding aside, it looks like a "Denso" type starter. These are very common as they are also used on automobiles. You can rebuild the solenoid yourself and see what happens. Or you can take it to an auto electric shop and they can rebuild it for you.

Is the starter still under warranty ?

So much has been done, if not already go for some new, bigger cables. A new relay wouldn't hurt either.

If nothing else, clean ALL your cable connections. I mean clean them good.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:36 AM
83hdfxrs
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vanmor
I don't know if I want to help you. You have a Shovel FXR. I'm Jealous !

All kidding aside, it looks like a "Denso" type starter. These are very common as they are also used on automobiles. You can rebuild the solenoid yourself and see what happens. Or you can take it to an auto electric shop and they can rebuild it for you.

Is the starter still under warranty ?

So much has been done, if not already go for some new, bigger cables. A new relay wouldn't hurt either.

If nothing else, clean ALL your cable connections. I mean clean them good.

It's a new 40 amp starter relay, and I've tried bypassing the solenoid and just jumped the starter and it does the same thing, it's not under warranty anymore

Old 05-30-2016, 07:38 AM
83hdfxrs
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
'83 was a Prestolite certainly...
Having been "upgraded"...IDK...My '83 works just fine...un-moded.
Can't help with the newer stuff...don't got none...
BTW the tranny too looks to have been replaced with newer...at lest the door & cover.

Too many "Hot Rod" changes on that one to Guess.
But, that starter should spin the heck out of that old shovel...
Tranny is an aftermarket 5 speed racing tranny.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:42 AM
83hdfxrs
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Starters dragging hard under load after all the trouble shooting you've done I'd suspect the brushes & armature are about toast, it's old enough. Can't remember but I believe the starter system & inner primary in the pics are off an evo, somebody in here will know for sure. My 82 FXR had the old prestolite shovel starter.
after Harley switched over to the Evo production, what ever shovelhead they had still in production at that time they threw the Evo parts onto the shovelhead to sell it. The hybrid bikes are rare because only a few were made like that.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by 83hdfxrs
after Harley switched over to the Evo production, what ever shovelhead they had still in production at that time they threw the Evo parts onto the shovelhead to sell it. The hybrid bikes are rare because only a few were made like that.
I don't know who blew that smoke up yer Butt....but it ain't all that true...
The '84 is remarkably like the '83, Except the Engine top end...
That starter was used on yours for the purpose of mating to that "Racing" Tranny...whatever that is..
Later than '88 anyway by the Door/Cover/clutch release.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:46 AM
83hdfxrs
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
I don't know who blew that smoke up yer Butt....but it ain't all that true...
The '84 is remarkably like the '83, Except the Engine top end...
That starter was used on yours for the purpose of mating to that "Racing" Tranny...whatever that is..
Later than '88 anyway by the Door/Cover/clutch release.
The tranny says STP performance on it but when I looked it up it says it's used on drag engines I don't know what the difference is. What would cause the starter rain gear not to spin? I've tried two different starters and it turns very week a few times then stops and I've tried to jump the solenoid and it's hooked up to a 600 cca battery.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:56 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by 83hdfxrs
The tranny says STP performance on it but when I looked it up it says it's used on drag engines I don't know what the difference is. What would cause the starter rain gear not to spin? I've tried two different starters and it turns very week a few times then stops and I've tried to jump the solenoid and it's hooked up to a 600 cca battery.
Maybe I'll show my ignorance ... STP?

I know that "STD" cases are out there ... Delkron too.

http://www.stddevelopment.com/

http://www.delkron-mfg.com/

Quick Reply: Trouble head blues.