Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

No spark need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Bill Bowen
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No spark need help

OK guys they said I should post this here I was charging my 74 xlh 1000 got called in to work and did not unhook charger and it rained out when I got home I checked it the charger was fried and bike will not start turns over no spark at plugs I looked at points moved then with screwdriver and have spark there changed the coil and kill switch still no spark get a clicking sound from one of the breakers checked battery got 12.2 v when I try to start it drops to 10.3 no knowledge of electrical so here I am can anyone lead me in the right direction of where to go from here

Old 06-18-2016, 05:26 PM
The Tinman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Bowen
OK guys they said I should post this here I was charging my 74 xlh 1000 got called in to work and did not unhook charger and it rained out when I got home I checked it the charger was fried and bike will not start turns over no spark at plugs I looked at points moved then with screwdriver and have spark there changed the coil and kill switch still no spark get a clicking sound from one of the breakers checked battery got 12.2 v when I try to start it drops to 10.3 no knowledge of electrical so here I am can anyone lead me in the right direction of where to go from here
A buddy of mine has a "few" shovels. He used to have a similar problem with many of his. He said after he switched them to electronic ignition, the starting problems were minimal. He still has 1 or 2 with points. As long as they run he'll keep the points. When they start acting up like yours is doing, he does the conversion.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:31 PM
Bill Bowen
Novice

I am thinking of doing the same thing just would like to find out what the problem is had no problem the day before it happened no it is driving me crazy

Old 06-18-2016, 07:10 PM
FL54
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 290 Posts

I'm no expert but given that you fried the charger and you have a clicking noise at the breaker, you have a direct short. You probably fried some of the insulation off the wiring somewhere and it is shorting.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:29 PM
Bill Bowen
Novice

Would it be the wire that is connected to that breaker that is clicking

Old 06-18-2016, 11:44 PM
ccislander
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery to me. 12.2 volts isn't enough for a fully charged battery, you should have about 13.2, and if it's dropping to 10.3 when you hit the starter button that's not enough to turn the motor over.
Put a new battery in it first. You can't analyze any other electrical issues without a fully charged battery. It will probably fire up then.
In the future, when charging the battery, it's a good idea to disconnect the ground wire.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Wel...Depends on the battery...Typical AGM and real good Flooded cell 12.6 or so is 100% at rest.
But. I'll go with cooked some wiring..not gonna ever work with a Breaker tripping...
Get yer Multimeter out...

Old 06-28-2016, 02:40 PM
Bill Bowen
Novice

Sorry i did not get back sooner but work on an off shore fishing boat Well guys i pulled the starter off and this is what i found

Old 06-29-2016, 07:26 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,926 Likes on 2,566 Posts

Yeh I think you found your problem!!

All jokes aside, I always prefer a "smoking gun" especially with electrical gremlins.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:44 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 423 Likes on 290 Posts

Glad you found your problem. I'm with Architect, much easier to trouble shoot an obvious short like that than an intermittent one that only occurs under certain conditions.

Quick Reply: No spark need help