Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead guy in Northern va

Old 07-26-2016, 04:03 PM
shankldu
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shovelhead guy in Northern va

Hey guys, know anyone in northern Virginia familiar w these old shovels? , I have a 70 flh that the previous guy put an S&S shorty carb on I got it to start but dies out as this is a aftermarket carb im out of ideas as to whats goin on w it its clean inside the jets r clean nothing stuck settings are as directed .

Old 07-26-2016, 04:05 PM
shankldu
Intermediate

yes there is fresh fuel in it

Old 07-26-2016, 05:21 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,522 Likes on 2,865 Posts

its a real simple carb the low speed jet is clogged - go to the S&S web site down load the carb info and go for it - the guys will help if you hit a snag

Old 07-26-2016, 05:25 PM
shankldu
Intermediate
Default shovelhead guy

All of the jets are clear , that's y I can't figure it out. I have hit a snag for sure. Need someone familiar with em to look at it .

Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

re move the carb and the intake and re seal it they usually dont do that with out a clog of big vacuum leak

Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

I am not to familiar with S&S as much as Keihin but they are close brothers , so what a lot of people miss on a Keihin is a small O-ring in the base of the Idle mixture screw , this O-ring rots in just a couple of years and the engine won't idle and dies . most Keihin Carbs are replaced because of this O-ring being missed
Remove Idle screw straghten out a paper clip bend into a " L " shape clip off one end leaving appox. 1/16 inch reach down into hole and pull out 1 flat washer and 1 O-ring good luck on finding this O-ring without buying a overhaul kit
Use a dab of white grease or a light grease to install back into to hole , install Idle screw to bottom and back out 1 and 1/2 turns to get started
Many many carbs have been replaced because of 1 little O-ring

Old 07-26-2016, 09:31 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

S&S has a large brass tapered screw thats mated to a taper in the carb body - keihin is a different animal completely

Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 PM
shankldu
Intermediate
Default Shovelhead

For one thing the o rings are a bullshit bad design. , any ideas on how to better seal the intake i bought some james wide bands. And the screw on the clamp hits them before they fit into the slot so dont know how else to better seal the intake.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:11 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

i use the o rings and super 88 or 33 electrical tape around the both sides of the intake and o rings to help - install all of it carb air filer stay bracket nothing totally tight just snug , before you tighten it and stagger the tighten so it closes even and dont over tighten

the rubber band seals are almost the same thing to install, i only use the red silicone ones as the black one are just as poor as the o rings to install incorrectly

10s of thousands of machines have o rings and are driven daily so get use to it owning a real harley is not for the faint at heart

Old 07-27-2016, 08:49 AM
shankldu
Intermediate
Default shovel

Thanks I thought of the electrical tape , but didn't think it would hold up with the heat ovet time .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shovelhead guy in Northern va