Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

'75 FLH handlebar switches/wiring driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 AM
BassFace
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '75 FLH handlebar switches/wiring driving me nuts!

Alright... I'm driving myself crazy with these handlebar switches not lasting. Either the switch goes bad, shorts on the handlebar, or the wiring gets pinched in the exit hole from the switch mount plate.

I've thought of two ways to solve this.

1. Cut a hole in the handlebar underneath the controls and run the wiring down through the handlebar. This will eliminate the pinched wiring, but may cause some lack of integrity on the handlebar...

2. Enlarge the size of the exit hole. This should stop the wire pinch/short/ground out nonsense.

That's all I've got. Anyone tried either of these ideas? Is there a better way? Also... does anyone know of a place to buy a good quality set of switches? Sooo done with these cheap tiny switches crapping out on me.

Thanks for the help

Old 08-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by BassFace
Alright... I'm driving myself crazy with these handlebar switches not lasting. Either the switch goes bad, shorts on the handlebar, or the wiring gets pinched in the exit hole from the switch mount plate.

I've thought of two ways to solve this.

1. Cut a hole in the handlebar underneath the controls and run the wiring down through the handlebar. This will eliminate the pinched wiring, but may cause some lack of integrity on the handlebar...

2. Enlarge the size of the exit hole. This should stop the wire pinch/short/ground out nonsense.

That's all I've got. Anyone tried either of these ideas? Is there a better way? Also... does anyone know of a place to buy a good quality set of switches? Sooo done with these cheap tiny switches crapping out on me.

Thanks for the help
Back in the day off the top of my head I would say check Gary Bang for switches and wiring harnesses. Not sure if there even still around.

Love your shovelhead btw. I had a 73 many moons ago. Loved that bike!

Good luck...

Old 08-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

I've done both - no failures... You can also take a good look at the switch terminals and bend them down somewhat so they don't short on the handlebars. Replacement switches aren't as good as the originals...

Old 08-30-2016, 05:15 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Aftermarket Chiwanese switches for the '73 thru '81 Switch housings are total Chiwanese Crap I have had the best luck rummaging thru boxes at swap meets for OE ones... Just the way of it... Some have switched to the '82+ controls. I agree that they are Marginally better, but, They sure are "Clunky"!!! I'll keep scrounging at Swaps...

Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Use smaller gauge wire and trim the blob after you solder , dremel comes real handy for this and deburring the inside of the holes in the handle bars where you keep shorting out . Next I put bit of black tape over the backs of those switches before clamping things together. Far as better quality switches good luck man , likes been mentioned do some box diving at swap meets looking for the old ones to refurb and use a lite touch with soldering iron too much heat wipes out them.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:34 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Use smaller gauge wire and trim the blob after you solder , dremel comes real handy for this and deburring the inside of the holes in the handle bars where you keep shorting out . Next I put bit of black tape over the backs of those switches before clamping things together. Far as better quality switches good luck man , likes been mentioned do some box diving at swap meets looking for the old ones to refurb and use a lite touch with soldering iron too much heat wipes out them.
Agree + double heatshrink after solder and where they go through the bars if you're going internal.