Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Kicker problems on Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:02 PM
tengraver
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kicker problems on Shovelhead

'82 FLT TourGlide Shovel - added a kick starter. Dyna S dual fire ignition, S&S heads, S&S carb - newly rebuilt. Timing is set on the mark. Valve adjustment has been checked and looks right. Runs good going down the road. If it pops and doesn't start (hot or cold) you might as well give up and hit the electric starter. The engine can feel real tight when hot. Not sure if it's my technique, or if the ignition timing needs modified, but I've about given up on kicking it. It'll start right up with the electric. It has new plugs and wires. I've recently had better results cold using the choke (mixture lever) on the S&S, but even with that it's not consistent. It just doesn't seem to be getting a strong spark, or maybe not enough air? I think I've got plenty of fuel. Any suggestions?https://www.hdforums.com/forum/image...s/icon_eek.gif

Old 09-07-2016, 09:49 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

My kick only shovel with S&S SuperE wouldn't start hot unless I keep the throttle open while kicking. Usually 1 or 2 kicks. No throttle, I can kick forever

Old 09-07-2016, 10:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

E's can be a bit touchy about hot motors and the kicker and it seems they tune just a bit different on each bike. Mine I have to give it a shot and hold about 1/4 throttle and it's still hit & miss some days.

Check the timing you could be a hair advanced too.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:01 AM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tengraver I am wandering if you still kick it through a couple of times with the ignition off when it's hot ? Not to hijack the thread but also curious about if the rest of you guys do it also ?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Snydcat
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Cigrettman
tengraver I am wandering if you still kick it through a couple of times with the ignition off when it's hot ? Not to hijack the thread but also curious about if the rest of you guys do it also ?
I don't primer kick at all when it's hot...starts 1 kick just about every time with the throttle 1/4 open.... but I have cv40 though.

Last edited by Snydcat; 09-08-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:43 PM
tengraver
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@E-Cigrettman

I haven't been kicking it through with the switch off at all, hot or cold. That sounds like something I need to start trying. I may try to retard the spark a little too. It's just weird how I might get one good pop, and if it doesn't start then, it seems like it will never pop again, so by then I'm out of breath, sweating, and glad to sit down and just push the button, and kaboom, it's running.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Funny how what use to be everyday, is now much harder. Yea I went out to my 80 FXB a while back and thought all was good right up to the point she almost put me over the seat, yea it hurt my knee. 2 more kicks and she was golden.
Point proved, now I just push the button.
After 30 years I remember why electric start is not bad at all.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by tengraver
@E-Cigrettman

I haven't been kicking it through with the switch off at all, hot or cold. That sounds like something I need to start trying. I may try to retard the spark a little too. It's just weird how I might get one good pop, and if it doesn't start then, it seems like it will never pop again, so by then I'm out of breath, sweating, and glad to sit down and just push the button, and kaboom, it's running.
Rule of thumb on any kicker, if it doesn't do it 4 tops turn the key off and let it sit for minute or so and try again particularly after the almost start fart they do. You stay on the kicker it'll wear you out as you've found already.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:46 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

I doubt that you're flooding it, but the next time is goes past 4 or 5 tries hot, turn the ignition off, open the throttle wide and kick it through 3 times , holding the throttle open wide. Then turn the ignition on and kick it through with minimal throttle opening. It sounds counter intuitive, kicking through with the throttle open, but that method is supposed to clear the cylinders for the next try at starting. (Don't twist the throttle at all once you've opened it up during this time, so that the accelerator pump isn't squirting fuel while you're 'clearing the cylinders.')

(That's an aftermarket kick starter kit. I wonder if it's got enough ratio to turn the motor aggressively enough?)

Last edited by Stiggy; 09-08-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:49 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

check the cyntrifical unit behind the S it could be sticking when its hot, they dont like some lubes to be put on them, and that causes a draging and it ends up being too much timing reason it pops

Quick Reply: Kicker problems on Shovelhead