Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1970 FLH - Tour Pak - 2 Up Seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts
Default 1970 FLH - Tour Pak - 2 Up Seat

At the beginning of the season I purchased a very nice 1970 FLH for two up riding with my wife, riding the fender on the '46 WL is not good for long rides!!

The bike is equipped with a conventional two up, frame/fender mounted seat, not a pogo/buddy seat or combo flex seat. Though not correct, it appears to be the best setup for the wife and I for some long distance riding. So far she is happy and I am still tweaking the bike. My intention is to use it for my medium distance touring next season. Lets say for a 250 mile day ride, anything longer and I will take my Road Glide.

With the bike came a tour pak, not a HD one but one of those flat funky looking white ones with the round marker lights, definitely groovy.

Background is done, to my questions:

1- The tour pak has the stock hardware on the bottom to install it onto a stock luggage rack (detachable). But since I have a modern seat, the rack does not fit as per HD. I have seen pictures of the front of the rack mounted to the the rear strut holes and brackets from the back of rack down to the fender. Is this something guys bought or made? Does someone have a good picture of what this looks like that the can post for reference. Any other info would be greatly appreciated for this mounting process. I understand it will not be stock and even maybe a little ugly, compromises I am willing to deal with to give her a comfortable ride.

2- The lock on the tour pak is FUBAR, any thoughts on replacements so I can latch it and lock it? A bungee chord could work to keep it closed and weather tight, but not so good for security.

Thoughts from the group????

Old 11-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Any time I ever tried what you propose has been a Failure...Utterly Fugly!!!
Luckily I have a Tour pack on the FLHT, so the '74-74" don't need one!!
If I needed one...I would probably go with the Comfort Flex, as the Pogo is not comfortable 2-up for two Old Farts with beer guts!!!!!

Old 11-02-2016, 10:19 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Racepres
Any time I ever tried what you propose has been a Failure...Utterly Fugly!!!
Luckily I have a Tour pack on the FLHT, so the '74-74" don't need one!!
If I needed one...I would probably go with the Comfort Flex, as the Pogo is not comfortable 2-up for two Old Farts with beer guts!!!!!
We have the same problems!!! Space is a premium on the bike. So far Momma is very happy with the current seat and loves the ride of the bike. I got the two up part covered with current seat (not the one in the Pic by the way, bought her a new Mustang). Using clamp on to frame clamps for the pegs, need a little tweaking but currently working.

I was checking out the Comfort Flex seats, NOS with all the hardware in white is readily available on the Bay, but I don't think I am there yet. Still trying to make this happen, when it becomes a complete fail, we will explore other routes.

The white Flex seat though would either be Cool all day, or some serious old fart stuff.

Any pics of your fugly failures??

Old 11-02-2016, 10:23 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

MoCo made a rear mount luggage rack for FX models back in the early 70s. It wasn't dedsigned for FLH models because those came with the over the fender luggage rack (which doesn't work with your seat situation).

That being said FX and FLH models in the 70s shared a lot of common parts. if you can find the rack and if the holes on the rack matches the holes on your struts, it would fit.

The part # was 53460-74.

I'll add a pic if I can.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:32 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

K...herz the pic from the 1976 HD Accessory Catalog. As you can see it is designed to fit rearward of the fender. The FX style seat was a full length seat as is yours. So if you can find it it might work for you and your wife.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Panz, that is what I was looking for, "A" above is what I have, "B" you show I do not think would work with the detachable tour pak, it needs the round cross bars to latch on. BUT it gives me lots of good ideas on how to modify A or make something myself. Or if I can find B on the Bay, maybe modify that with some cross bars. Thanks for the pic.

Any other pics or thoughts????

Old 11-03-2016, 06:10 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

oops!!