Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter wont engauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:13 AM
tattootim
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter wont engauge

I replaced the primary gasket on my 76 flh. afterwards the the bike acted as if the battery was weak and barely turned over, charged it overnight and didnt solve the problem. Ordered a new battery. charged it for 48 hours like it said. same problem. I rewired this bike back in the summer and have had No issues. Took the starter off and tested it. Its good. Pulled the primary back off thinking something might be in a bind.found nothing. Put the primary back on only snuggling it to try it again.button wont start the bike but I jumped the solenoid and it fired right up. I did notice that the primary had the chrome cover on the solenoid shoved over to the point you cant get a socket on to remove the solenoid. About to pull my hair out. could it be the relay? And if so why?

Old 11-06-2016, 10:07 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Therz a copper washer that goes on the starter shaft. Did you remember to put that back on before you put your primary back on.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:47 AM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

the relay can be bypassed with a wrench/screwdriver across the solenoid like hot wiring a older car check electrical connections

my relay ground would be a problem but normally the start push button won't work if its the relay thats why i suggested bypassing/hotwiring the solenoid that will bypass the relay

Last edited by TOFTS; 11-07-2016 at 12:55 AM. Reason: relay ground
Old 11-07-2016, 06:59 AM
tattootim
Intermediate

Washers are on.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:02 AM
tattootim
Intermediate

Jumping the solenoid is how I got it to crank. im trying to figure out why the start button isnt doing anything now and what would have jacked the relay if the relay is the problem.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:38 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

"button won't start the bike" as in when you push the starter button, there is nothing? If so that could indicate a bad connection in your start button wiring. The start button has 2 wires one crosssing to the kill switch and the second connecting to the #3 position on your relay. Have you checked to make sure all the connections are tight? Might be time to pull the switch housing and make sure there are no pinched or broken wires.

And I know this is stupid of me to ask but....is your kill switch engaged which would make the start button dead.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:54 PM
tattootim
Intermediate

All of the wiring is cool.I have riding this bike alot since I rewired it with no problems. cranked everyday..this problem started when I put the primary cover back on. ive had three shovels, never have I seen the primary cover actually pressed against the solenoid. This bike has true dual pipes and that goofy heat plate covering the pipe and solenoid. First I thought maybe that heat shield was shorting something. pulled it off and it was the same.that chrome cover around the solenoid being pushed back by the primary cover is the only thing I could see that could ccase any of this. Could it be something binding could have blown the relay. Something was shorted because when I put the new battery on it sparked like ****.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:21 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

HD used a rubber boot for the solenoid cover; chrome one would be aftermarket. With the chrome cover off does it fire with the e-start button?

And can you post a pic of your primary cover with your described interference?

In 1976 HD was still using a "fusible" wire between the relay and the +-side of the battery. I think in 78 they replaced that with a circuit breaker. You said you re-wired the bike. Did you update that or do you still have the "fusible wire" in place? If so and that wire shorted, that wire could be the cause of your problems.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:47 AM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tattootim
All of the wiring is cool.I have riding this bike alot since I rewired it with no problems. cranked everyday..this problem started when I put the primary cover back on. ive had three shovels, never have I seen the primary cover actually pressed against the solenoid. This bike has true dual pipes and that goofy heat plate covering the pipe and solenoid. First I thought maybe that heat shield was shorting something. pulled it off and it was the same.that chrome cover around the solenoid being pushed back by the primary cover is the only thing I could see that could ccase any of this. Could it be something binding could have blown the relay. Something was shorted because when I put the new battery on it sparked like ****.

When you pulled your primary cover off, you may have inadvertently slid the starter shaft (pt# 31482-70) slightly outward, preventing the starter shaft to properly engage w/the starter gear (pt# 31485-65), preventing the bendix gear (starter drive gear unit pt# 31443-65A) to engage properly with the clutch hub, causing your starter to labor.
Disconnect your battery, remove the primary cover, twist back and forth the starter shaft while pushing it inward. If you feel the starter shaft move back inward approx. 1/4", this might solve your problem.