Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:49 PM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil

Bought a 72 some months back that had been sitting for about six years and been working on it a lot and riding it very little it seemed to me and right when I was gaining a little trust with the old girl she starts making some noises I didn't want to hear. I got her back to the house and the oil is full of shiny metallic stuff that looks like brass to me. Any how I got the motor out and top end pulled off. The cylinders are at .070 and the rear is scorched on the front and rear of the cylinder wall pretty bad. It had two different makes of pistons in it and not sure why or if it was right but the base gaskets were blocking off where the oil could return through the cylinder back down into the cases. The bike had an Andrews B grind along with a Crane Iggy. My winter project just became a lot more in depth than I had anticipated. Money is tight but I'm gonna have to do something even if it's wrong.
72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil-img_3235.jpg72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil-img_3236.jpg
72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil-img_3237.jpg72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil-img_3238.jpg

Last edited by E-Cigrettman; 11-27-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:21 AM
tpb857
Road Captain

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 73 FLH with a stock motor. The holes in the cylinder bases are blocked on mine. I can't say for sure, but I think that they are open on strokers. Sorry, but I can't help with the rest.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:14 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Check your connecting rod and camshaft bushings, Sounds like some one threw her together just to cash it..... Sorry to hear man.... Got a manual?

Old 11-28-2016, 04:52 PM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced

98hotrod I have a manual and the cam bushing doesn't look to bad as far as the amount of debris that is in the oil so im guessing it's the rod bushings as I have yet to split the cases. Yeah I haven't had very good luck when it comes to purchasing a bike and riding it for more than a couple hundred miles before needing some major surgery but in the end I'll either have a basket case scooter or a kick a$$ Shovel hopefully when it's all said and done the latter of the two

tbp looking at the manual it's hard to tell but the oil system diagram looks like it should drain back down through there but I could have been mistaken and will check again tonight if I get a few minutes

Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Find out what size pistons those are, the cylinder walls look thin in that picture. Post back the piston measurements as I have several new sets of 74 pistons I got on the cheap over the years I can part with to help a guy in a spot.

The following users liked this post:
E-Cigrettman (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 05:10 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Cigrettman
98hotrod I have a manual and the cam bushing doesn't look to bad as far as the amount of debris that is in the oil so im guessing it's the rod bushings as I have yet to split the cases. Yeah I haven't had very good luck when it comes to purchasing a bike and riding it for more than a couple hundred miles before needing some major surgery but in the end I'll either have a basket case scooter or a kick a$$ Shovel hopefully when it's all said and done the latter of the two

tbp looking at the manual it's hard to tell but the oil system diagram looks like it should drain back down through there but I could have been mistaken and will check again tonight if I get a few minutes
Bigger concerns would be crank pin, IMHO. Take a hold of your connecting rods to see what kind of free play up and down on that crank pin. Should be next to zero. Good indicator if you need to split the cases. If it's tight, I wouldn't bother with anything but the top side.

Keep us updated ... Love those old shovels

Old 12-03-2016, 10:33 PM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced

Okay so I went ahead and split the cases. Taggs the rear rod felt pretty snug up and down but had a little side to side movement.The front rod has close to .040 movement side to side but feels pretty snug up and down. I'm gonna do a full rebuild. I noticed that the rear cylinder had a mod done to where the oil was supposed to drain back through the cases but the gasket kept the oil from doing so and the mod had a roll pin blocking off the original oil hole..The front cylinder was replaced at some point and did not have the mod done. I included some pics of the modifications.
72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil-img_3267-2-.jpg72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil-img_3268-2-.jpg
72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil-img_3269.jpg72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil-img_3270.jpg

TwiZted,Thanks for the offer and I measured the pistons and best I can tell they are 3 7/16 but have .070 stamped on the top of them. I sent you a PM also.

Last edited by E-Cigrettman; 12-03-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by E-Cigrettman
Okay so I went ahead and split the cases. Taggs the rear rod felt pretty snug up and down but had a little side to side movement.The front rod has close to .040 movement side to side but feels pretty snug up and down. I'm gonna do a full rebuild. I noticed that the rear cylinder had a mod done to where the oil was supposed to drain back through the cases but the gasket kept the oil from doing so and the mod had a roll pin blocking off the original oil hole..The front cylinder was replaced at some point and did not have the mod done. I included some pics of the modifications.

TwiZted,Thanks for the offer and I measured the pistons and best I can tell they are 3 7/16 but have .070 stamped on the top of them. I sent you a PM also.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of those cylinders have been over bored as far as they can go, sorry man but this ones going to get involved.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:45 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

I agree with TB, the jugs are maxed out for resizing. You may want to attempt to clean them up by honing, but not likely they will clean up to be within safe specs. Not sure of your tool box but to even hone them could mean a trip to a shop capable of doing it and miking them. Replacement jugs may be your best bet.

The connecting rod side play is ok. Sounds like up and down would tell me the crank pin is good. The only thing you need to weigh out, going this deep,do I go into the bottom and complete peace it's solid when complete. Or just go the top end with the question in your mind, how long before the crank pin goes south??

I understand the dollar pinch. It's a pricey job no matter what. All I can say is, the shovels are noted for soft crank pins. Running it if a rod lets go will take out engine cases. Doing as much on your own, you could do just the top and listen for strange noises when complete. Any noticeable noises after that your probably going back into it.

Best luck...

Last edited by Taggs; 12-04-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 PM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced

Well a couple months and several thousand hard earned pennies later I have my first TroubleShovel going back together. I went back with 80" wheels and some of the parts and pieces I used may not be up to par with some but all I can say is it will either run and hold up or it won't at this point. I'm ready to put the motor back in but keep tinkering with other minor stuff. I'm hoping to hear her run before to long.

Last edited by E-Cigrettman; 03-13-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 72 Shovel Has Shiny Stuff In The Oil