Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Fuel gushing out of the oil breather line

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 04:38 AM
Harleyevo
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel gushing out of the oil breather line

Would anyone be able to help please, we have just bought a 1340 shovel on Friday, after picking it up from the trucking company rode it home two miles and parked it untill I finished work, that night I tried to start it again but fuel was running everywhere from the S&S super B carby and a slight fuel trickle from out of the crank case oil breather line 🤔 So I put the breather line into a bottle n went to bed, next morning the bottle was half full of near clean fuel 🤔 I found the fuel line from the tank to carby wasn't tightened so fixed that and no more leaking carby but when I did start the bike a huge amount of fuel was spat out of the oil breather line then came the oil , I shut the bike off and checked the oil reservoir and sure enough there was fuel in the oil????? Now I've owned my 86 evo for 24 years and taken just about every nut n bolt out of the old gal at one time or another but this has me dumb founded,

Old 12-11-2016, 06:35 AM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

It seems simple to me except for the 24 years...after that many years it ought to seem simple to OP, and it does not. So it sounds not-simple. ie interesting...

let us know what you learn, brother.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:06 AM
Eastcoast Jim
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

G' Day -Welcome - If you leave the petcock on when the bike is parked, fuel can run into the carb , over flow or run into the case. - Eastcoast Jim

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-11-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:50 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

As has been stated, make sure your petcock is in the off position when you turn off the motor.

-Check float to ensure it is operating correctly and adjusted to specs,

-Check needle valve to make sure there is no debris in the openeing and that it is seated properly.

Bike parked leans to the left. Fuel is rising above the float bowl, going down the intake manifold and over the top of your cylinders and trickling down to your bottom end and getting pushed back into your oil tank via return line.

S&S carbs are a simple design and very easy to work on. If you go their website they have a tech section that breaks down the carb for you.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Harleyevo
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, yep one would like to think they would come across every possible problem after riding the evo for that many years but it's been a relatively problem free ride for that time so learning has been from General matanence and changing parts as I go, never needed to go internally and never had that problem when leaving the fuel tap open on the evo but will make sure it'll never happen again on the shovel, was just hard for the old brain to accept that over a litre of fuel could come out the breather lol, I'll drain oil and learn the workings of this particular carby and check over the rest of the bike then take her for a ride 😉

Old 12-12-2016, 07:16 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Your Evo probably had a newer style petcock with a vacuum operated diaphragm. They will not leak fuel even if the petcock is left open, they need a vacuum source (from the carb) to begin any flow. Shovels do not have these, simple petcock on and off. Get in the habit of shutting it off every time you shut the bike off. Of course this will inevitably lead to you forgetting to turn it back on, but that is part of the fun.

"Turn the gas on, Dummy"

Old 12-12-2016, 06:13 PM
RedHogz
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I found out about the vacuum operated petcock the hard way on my TC88 Heritage after loading up on contaminated fuel and trying to drain the tank roadside into a borrowed taping pail. That was a drag.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:51 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHogz
I found out about the vacuum operated petcock the hard way on my TC88 Heritage after loading up on contaminated fuel and trying to drain the tank roadside into a borrowed taping pail. That was a drag.
Yes, PITA to drain via the petcock with the vacuum petcock, even if you can get a flow started and get your thumb over the hose, it is but a trickle and will take a long time.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:32 AM
pie plate
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I have had vac op fuel valve soften and disintegrate internal bits into the tooter... Theory is that I got a slug of non-specification fuel, some really "hot" solvent added somewhere along the line. Pushed that old gal for miles....

Even since I throw away vac valves and put in metal mechanical fuel valves....

It's unusual to live with a scoot for so many years and not have had the fuel in oil thru tooter thang happen. Cheap lesson - as there could have been a fire, brother. Do not leave fuel leaks unattended...