Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead Project - Paint and Resto

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:17 AM
Streetscenes
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Shovelhead Project - Paint and Resto

Here is the bad boy in all its glory. I'm thinking about doing some paint work on it this winter. First I have to finish my Road King so but I'm looking for ideas...

I have the Klockwerks hugger fender for it and old batwing that I'll use on it as well. I may run a set of 5" Stretched bags on it but that still up in the air.

I'm thinking about a flaked paint job. Something simple but still a bit more modern but with a retro feel.

Thanks for you input...and be patient on the build. I still have to source some forks. The ones I have were trashed.

Last edited by Streetscenes; 12-21-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

That's a beautiful machine. I can see a batwing fairing and a really nice custom paint job but please, don't phagg out a truly classic motorcycle with that POS hugger fender and a set of ghetto style stretched saddlebags. A bike of that caliber has too much class for that kind of trash. But then it ain't my bike so I can't save it. Have fun and good luck with your build.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:24 AM
Streetscenes
Cruiser

Thanks I think your right... The bike was originally tan so I don't want to go back to original. ... I just happened to have Hugger fender and the bags so was on the fence. I'm more of a resto mod guy myself. The Batwing is period correct so its getting color matched and will be an option along with a factory style shield. My original thought was a throwback custom look...but not the crazy colored low rider style.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,919 Likes on 2,562 Posts

Soooo close to stock, path of least resistance, will maintain value the best, and for my money will be the coolest. But not my bike, good luck.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:54 AM
Streetscenes
Cruiser

Yeah it looks good in the pics but sadly has some things that need attention. The hand controls are cheap chrome knock off and the maters cylinder is toast. (found that out on the test ride) So I'm looking for some replacements. They must have been trying to make a chopper out of it and got scared. The tabs for the front fender are halfway cut off. If you look you can see the exhaust U bolt holding on the fender. I'll need to find some lowers for it and banana calibers. I want to find a kicker. Because my first HD was kick only so that's on my list as well. I have the hard bags and all the chrome that came with it.

So I think you guys just confirmed my thoughts as well. Stick as close to the original as possible. No big bags, or hugger fenders.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:51 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,806 Likes on 3,313 Posts

There's nostalgic people then there's those that just want to make a name and totally change it's design. I recently purchased a 77 fxe but have yet to bring it home. My only intentions to her are to nurture and preserve what i have... But that's just me for this one... It's s true classic to me.....

Old 12-23-2016, 05:41 AM
Streetscenes
Cruiser

Yea I'm looking to make it look like a custom from the era. I'm a resto mod guy. My 68 Mustang has a modern engine and suspension. Oh and A/C. If I wanted to take it across the county I can. So thats what I'm shooting for on this guy. Function and form. I'll keep all the old parts so it can be converted back at any point. The hard part is since I can do the paint work its never easy for me to pick my own color...too many options. I haven't seen anything that I'm like Oh yeah thats it.

I was thinking about doing it like one of these I painted. The blue is a 57 Chevy color and I two tone it with white. The rest just not sure.

Thanks for everyone input.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:19 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,427 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Good looking bike. '80-'82? I'm with the keep the integrity of the bike crowd. Period correct mods are fine. I like the idea of the flake paint job. Go over everything front to back and give it a killer paint job and you'll have one of the coolest bikes around.

Just wait 'til you see how many big "Harley guys" don't have any idea what it is.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:37 PM
Streetscenes
Cruiser

Its a good call its a 79. I agree with keep it correct. So off come the forks and we will see where it goes from here.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:12 AM
Ruggs59
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 84 Posts

A nice classic two-tone perhaps?

Attached Thumbnails Shovelhead Project - Paint and Resto-1104c5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Shovelhead Project - Paint and Resto