Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

How Do I Remove Wiring from Handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 PM
Carlos Frijoles
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Remove Wiring from Handlebars?

OK - my '79 FXS has wiring running from the left and right switches through the handlebars and then the wiring runs into the headlight. The entire loom of wiring is in the headlight... ok, no problem understanding that. But how in the heck do I get the wiring harness disconnected enough to slip the wiring out of the handlebars?

The wires to the switches on the left and right look like they are molded in to the switch - no way to disconnect them that I can see. So much for taking the switches off and pulling the wiring down through the handlebars...

Inside the headlight, I don't see any bullet connectors to disconnect from the rest of the wiring harness, so I don't see how to pull it back out through the left and right handlebars...

Do I need to cut wires? I was hoping not to cut anything, but right now I have the bars hanging and a puzzle on my hands. (I have not cut any shrink wrap off, so maybe there are connectors hiding in there?) Any help is appreciated... I am going to need to get all this back together again some time soon, too!

Wiring connections in '79 FXS. Each handlebar bundle feeds in from the top... how do they disconnect?

Old 12-30-2016, 07:17 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Each terminal is pinned into the connectors. Male or Female. the connectors will not fit through the holes in the headlight bucket so each pin/socket must be removed from and later reinstalled into the connectors. To do it right you'll need a wiring diagram and taking lots of pictures makes it easier.
There are YouTube videos on how to remove and install the pins/sockets. Also there are a few special tools that will help, but not absolutely required.

BTW is it Black and Silver?

Last edited by TSheff; 12-30-2016 at 07:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carlos Frijoles (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 08:20 PM
Carlos Frijoles
Novice

Originally Posted by TSheff
Each terminal is pinned into the connectors. Male or Female. the connectors will not fit through the holes in the headlight bucket so each pin/socket must be removed from and later reinstalled into the connectors.

BTW is it Black and Silver?
Wow... I never would have thought of that, but now that you point it out, I will get after it in the morning!

And yes... the FXS is black (frame) and silver. For now...

Old 12-30-2016, 10:16 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

A tool like/similar to his will help you.

http://mobiledistributorsupply.com/t...QWNaQodWE0OPA#

Carlos Frijoles (12-31-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 11:18 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
A tool like/similar to his will help you.

http://mobiledistributorsupply.com/t...QWNaQodWE0OPA#
The tool will definitely help and new terminals and pins are fairly cheap. Much better to do it right. You'l appreciate it and any future owners will thank you.

My first Harley was a 79 FXS Black & Silver (as in the Sig Pic). Give me a heads up if you get bored with it or decide to sell. Never know what the next project will be.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:34 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,381 Likes on 4,119 Posts

Definitely get the tool and take your time removing the pins. The purpose of the tool is to compress the little directional "catches" on the pin. Pull gently.

Also, besides taking pics, draw yourself a little sketch of the connector and what color wires go where and put a mark (dab of paint or scratch) on the connector body for orientation purposes.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:10 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

FYI, removing those old pins is a major PITA, good luck and be very patient.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:51 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the tool but was worthless... Electrician small flat scewdrivers worked pretty good
I got new connectors and terminals from JPcycles

Old 12-31-2016, 08:00 PM
Carlos Frijoles
Novice

Thanks for the help everyone... I skipped the tool and found a couple small screwdrivers were enough to get the job done. Slow and tedious, but not that hard. I updated my blog with more details - but a big shout-out to the tips here! Once I saw what to do - getting it done was just a matter of putting in the time!

Old 01-08-2017, 09:41 AM
RedHogz
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Carlos, I just checked out your progress in your blog. Great job detailing the wiring connections. Most people, including myself have gotten way ahead of themselves in tear down not documenting how **** goes back together figuring, ehh, I'll remember this or that then life gets in the way. Several days away from the project and it's amazing what you forget! I love the Silver\Black FX's. Enjoy the build. Now that you have access to the rocker boxes and primary\nose cone covers, go at them good with some aluminum cleaner\polish and you can make them look like chrome! Have fun!

Last edited by RedHogz; 01-08-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Carlos Frijoles (01-08-2017)

Quick Reply: How Do I Remove Wiring from Handlebars?