Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Help with Shifter Cover Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Carlos Frijoles
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Shifter Cover Removal

Following the service manual, I removed the 5 bolts from the shifter cover on my '79 FXS (the transmission is up on the workbench - not in the bike). Even with the bolts out, the cover won't easily come off. I have tapped on it... tried a little prying, but don't want to get too heavy-handed with it. It could just be sealed on there or cemented on with gasket sealer...

Any previous experience pulling these off? I have re-read the service manual and it doesn't suggest any other connections. Any advice is appreciated before going the "get a bigger hammer" route!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:17 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 736 Posts

Might try a gasket scraper. Tap it in to the gasket mating surface VERY GENTLY! Work it around the perimeter of the cover slowly. Previous owner may have used Gorilla Snot to glue it together to stop a leak.

The following users liked this post:
Carlos Frijoles (01-10-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:57 AM
Carlos Frijoles
Novice

I got the cover off... just took a little time with a thin blade and a brass hammer. Not sure if the old gasket was glued in or just fossilized, but everything came apart with no damage to the mating surfaces.

The bonus was after spending time working on it, I noticed the half-moon key on the main shaft had been sheared off, and a little punch work removed the rest of the key from the keyway. I thought the shaft had been damaged, but it was just the clutch hub that had spun on the shaft. Getting the 2 cents forth of keyway out of there saves me a new main shaft!

Remainder of the shears-off key, removed.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

FYI, that key is not sheared, it is made that way. the half moon sits in the slit and the portion above it aligns with your clutch hub assembly. If you look at the assembly you will see a sqauare notch in the part that goes on the shaft. That key keeps the assembly from free spining.

And if you haven't invested yet, a factory shop and parts manual would be beneficial.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 AM
Carlos Frijoles
Novice

Thanks for the note, Panz4ever - I have the service manual and parts book. You are correct - they are handy to have. The key was sheared - I am including a photo of the hub here - you can see the other half of the key in the hub slot. The hub was not badly spun on the main shaft, but the key was definitely split. I have removed and replaced a lot of keyed shaft/gear systems - can't say I have seen this very many times!

Back of clutch hub, showing top half of sheared key still in place.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:43 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Frijoles
Thanks for the note, Panz4ever - I have the service manual and parts book. You are correct - they are handy to have. The key was sheared - I am including a photo of the hub here - you can see the other half of the key in the hub slot. The hub was not badly spun on the main shaft, but the key was definitely split. I have removed and replaced a lot of keyed shaft/gear systems - can't say I have seen this very many times!

Back of clutch hub, showing top half of sheared key still in place.
I'm betting, too many hole shots..... Check the run out on the shaft....

Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Damn, you would have to beat those tranny gears pretty hard to do that to a "key". You say you have the tranny on the bench/ Howz the gears look?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 PM
Carlos Frijoles
Novice

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Damn, you would have to beat those tranny gears pretty hard to do that to a "key". You say you have the tranny on the bench/ Howz the gears look?
I looked through all the gears tonight - they seem fine. No chips, cracks, or anything other than normal wear. I agree it seems the clutch must have been hammered to make this happen, but possibly they key was not seated correctly. No matter... the entire clutch is being replaced. And yes - I will check the runout, shaft tolerances, etc. before reassembling everything.

Last edited by Carlos Frijoles; 01-13-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: add photo