Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Got me a shovel

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:31 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Well, slow progress as I have been away with work and will be away next week as well. But the engine is done. Now i just need to go and pick it (and the gearbox) up. Can't do that until next Friday unfortunately....but if I play my cards right i will manage to get the engine and frame in my car on the same run and then the fun can start.

A box of Motogadget parts arrived earlier in the week for the electrics. Turn signals, grips, plus the all important "brain" for the wiring. Motogadget m-Unit "blue". Now with added bluetooth connectivity for setup, diagnostics etc, keyless go and all kinds of trickery. Probably anathema for a shovel, but I do like clever electricals and clean wiring.

https://motogadget.com/shop/en/m-unit-blue.html

I also ordered a bunch of stuff from J&P. I splashed out on a Rivera Primo Pro Clutch and a Hayden M6 primary chain tensioner. With the gearbox and engine being as good or better than new, i thought it would be a good idea not to cheap out on the primary.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Nubby 55
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The OEM front ends are out there for sure, I'll be taking one off my 1981 FXWG soon, I;. going with a late model FLH front and then put the Bremo Breaks on it, I like the way the new bikes Stop. Very Nice Bike Man, oh and if the tires have set up that long please replace them, I've read not to run a tire over 5 years old. Nice Find!

Old 03-16-2017, 02:54 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

I went and picked up my frame today. It looks great. Nice piano black powder coat and very well done. I had the shop press in new steering head cups and bearing races while they were at it. Easier for them to do it with a hydraulic press than for me to struggle and butcher it. They welded up the "extra" holes in the top frame member and you wouldn't know they had ever been there.

There were no issues with the frame when the old paint had been taken off, no cracks or anything to worry about, so everything seems good to get started building the bike up.

I actually wish I had taken the chrome swingarm over and had them do that black at the same time, but c'est la vie.

My engine is done and ready for collection, but we are waiting for the chrome to be stripped off the transmission side cover so it can be vapour blasted. Should be early next week, then the fun will really start.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:21 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Nicely done... this will be a looker when completed, can't wait to see the end results. GW

Old 03-18-2017, 12:26 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

I spent some more money this week! Ordered a set of Harrison Billet brakes.....

2 6 pot callipers for the front, and a 4 pot and billet bracket for the rear. Like these:

Oh - and a pair of Hagon Nitro shocks for the rear. Need to decide what to do at the front though....

Old 03-18-2017, 12:35 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Oh - and I won a freshly black powder coated stock shovel swingarm on eBay last night for a song. So when that arrives I think I will use it instead of the old chrome one. The chrome would have needed re-doing anyway... so that's my rechroming bill down a bit!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:36 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Still in the "copiously spending money" phase.....

Just order an RB Racing LSR Pro-Stock 2:1 pipe for the bike. I was going to stay with the original style dual exhausts, but well....I prefer 2:1s and saw another bike at the weekend with an RB racing pipe. First time I have seen one in the flesh and I was impressed.

Also ordered their AFR gauge setup to go with it to help with tuning.

It'll take a while to get made and delivered, but if I can have the bike on the road in 3 or 4 months, I will be happy.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Oooh look! Some shiny parts have just arrived....

Harrison Billet (UK firm) 4 pot caliper and bracket for the rear, plus two 6 pot callipers for the front. They look like a work of art.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

So....it's been slow going as I have been away with work, but the tinwork should be ready for pickup early next week from the painter, so I thought it was time to get started properly on the rebuild.

I did a trial fitting of the rear wheel - and just wanted to check it is all correct before proceeding...

Here's a couple of pics of how it was set up before I tore it down, followed by a few of the "now" situation.

Before teardown

Current situation

This looks correct from the parts manual as well. From the left side, the axle goes in through the axle adjuster, then a spacer, then the rear wheel, then the brake carrier, then through the right axle adjuster then a thrust washer, a spring lock washer and finally the axle nut.

Now - there's a gap of approx 1/8th inch between the left hand spacer and the swing arm. I haven't tightened the axle nut yet and I presume that this will pull the swing arm ends in to close this gap. Is that about right or should I be looking at a slightly longer spacer there? And there's no washer between the axle bolt on the left and the left side of the swing arm - is that also correct?

For the coming weekend, I plan to get the engine and tranny in and start on the primary. Then we'll actually be getting somewhere....

Old 04-28-2017, 07:37 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I would try the calipers on, bled and ready, to see if that moves the caliper bracket bracket anymare... you may need shim on that side.
As far as I know, you don't want the swingarm to flex, but everything in between the 2 arms has to fit right.
You MAY also need shims on the sprocket side to align the chain?

The following users liked this post:
adm (04-28-2017)

Quick Reply: Got me a shovel