Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Got me a shovel

Old 01-11-2017, 01:56 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Default Got me a shovel

I picked this bike up at the weekend - it's my first Shovel. I also have a 2014 Fat Bob that I've done a fair bit of work on.

This is a 1980 FXWG Wide Glide, 80", 4 speed. It's been sitting in a garage for the last 12 years and apparently has only about 18K miles on it. I can't verify that, but from a cursory inspection it looks like it might be true.

I intend to get it back to pretty much "as new" condition. I also have the original bars, pipes and 2 up seat. The pipes need rechromed, which I will do soon as I don't like the current fishtails. I also want to go back to the original black with orange flames paint job, but that can wait for a while.

Anyway, the engine runs strong and smooth and the bike rides really well with no issues. First up is a general clean and tidy and tune up. After that I'll need to have a good look at the motor to try and figure out what has been done to it over they years - but it looks pretty unmolested. The only real change from stock that I can see is that a Mikuni carb has been added at some point.

I would appreciate anyone's input on the bike - and I'm looking forward to learning all about these old girls!

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (04-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:39 AM
jimihd
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good looking scoot. You will find shovel's require "wrench" time, so might as well invest in a good service manual. I have a '75 FLH that I have touched every part, can't say that about my '08 FLTCU.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:14 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,154 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
I'll need to have a good look at the motor to try and figure out what has been done to it over they years - but it looks pretty unmolested.The only real change from stock that I can see is that a Mikuni carb has been added at some point.
First congrats...nice looking bike...you will have a lot of fun with it.

As far as unmolested...that bike has been down to the frame...and on the way back up...a lot of the original HD parts were replaced with aftermarket...so taking it back to "as new" may be more work than you think.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:53 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimihd
Good looking scoot. You will find shovel's require "wrench" time, so might as well invest in a good service manual. I have a '75 FLH that I have touched every part, can't say that about my '08 FLTCU.
Yep - wrench time is what I am looking forward to! I've pretty much "done" my Twinky so needed a new project.

I got a hard copy of the Clymer manual with the bike, but I have also got a nice pdf copy of the proper HD service manual and parts guide, so should be good there. I also have Donny Peterson's unauthorised guide to shovels.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:10 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
First congrats...nice looking bike...you will have a lot of fun with it.

As far as unmolested...that bike has been down to the frame...and on the way back up...a lot of the original HD parts were replaced with aftermarket...so taking it back to "as new" may be more work than you think.
:-) Yeah. That was probably a bad turn of phrase. Might have been to better say it appears to be in good condition for a 36 year old bike.

What I can see has been done to it for sure includes:

new front end and bars, mirrors, levers etc..
all tins repainted
changed seat
changed pipes
changed turn signals, rear light, plate mount
new fittings on brake lines, clutch etc..
changed carb & A/C

And probably a lot more that I haven't even noticed yet.

Also "as new" wasn't really what I meant either..... what I should have said more along the lines of "like a well maintained 1980 WG that's been modified to how it's owner likes it".

I plan to put the original pipes back on, redo the paint to the factory black flamed scheme, pull the motor and tranny and blast and polish/paint the cases, jugs, heads etc. I have the original 2 up seat, which will need recovered, but to be honest I like the look of the solo one. I'll also need to check out the top and bottom ends of the motor to see what needs done in there. And.....lots of other stuff for sure......but that's all in the future.

For now, mainly clean, polish, go through all the relevant service checks and adjustments and tune it. Then ride the thing through the summer and make a proper plan for the rest of the work to come!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:22 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 498 Posts

great looking, clean scoot.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,873 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Good start for sure, good luck.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I have always liked the original FXWG, Front End, they are still out there...Good luck.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,362 Likes on 4,111 Posts

Very nice. I like 'er.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Pretty clean looking. Post pics as you go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got me a shovel