Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

How do I cut and shorten wide glide tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:14 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Unless you have a lathe and some skills you don't cut fork tubes..........
I'd have a machinist do it. And that front end looked really long, anyway. I'll take it apart and measure the tubes.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,923 Likes on 17,476 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill wallace
I'd have a machinist do it. And that front end looked really long, anyway. I'll take it apart and measure the tubes.
Be cheaper to buy new tubes......

The following users liked this post:
Bill wallace (01-25-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer

Be cheaper to buy new tubes......
Yep, I think that's the route I'll take. Rear end is almost done. Gotta lace and true the wheel and powder coat it. Then I'll wrench on the front and get it right. Wiring and paint and should be close to done.

Btw...got the rear shocks apart to powdercoat the covers. How do those come off?
Will post pics. Gimme a few minutes. Thanks for all your help, Twizted.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Yep, I think that's the route I'll take. Rear end is almost done. Gotta lace and true the wheel and powder coat it. Then I'll wrench on the front and get it right. Wiring and paint and should be close to done.

Btw...got the rear shocks apart to powdercoat the covers. How do those come off?
Will post pics. Gimme a few minutes. Thanks for all your help, Twizted.
You'll need to pull a leg apart to see what tube it is and get a length before you buy, there's a couple variations on the ends make a difference most aftermarket catalogs will have a picture guide to tell you what year they are.

You really need a manual to tear down the legs or hunt youtube for a how to video.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer

Dude, that's an 1980 or later FXWG front end you have, stock tube length is 24.75" and yours looks to be 4" over. Find a set of stock length tubes, leave the springs alone and I think you'll find the bike will sit pretty good when you done. The old shorter tube FL fronts sat low and rode like a lumber truck with busted springs.
Measured the forks. They are off the bike and in the corner. 34 1/2 inches from bottom of slider to top of tube. That sound long?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:04 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer

You'll need to pull a leg apart to see what tube it is and get a length before you buy, there's a couple variations on the ends make a difference most aftermarket catalogs will have a picture guide to tell you what year they are.

You really need a manual to tear down the legs or hunt youtube for a how to video.
The covers were just rusted on a little. They're off. I do have the HD shop manual for this bike which also covers the 1980 Wide Glide front end. It's just that the manual doesn't always tell you exactly how to get something apart and I learned about 40 years ago the "get a bigger hammer" route usually ends pretty badly!

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:42 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

My 86 is apart, tube measure is 241/4" ...progressive springs stock hight going in. Spring is shorter cuz they come with a spacer I have to cut to length. You should consider a lowering kit and rebuild kit... Your talking less than $150.00...

The following users liked this post:
Bill wallace (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 08:49 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer

Originally Posted by glidein wide
My 86 is apart, tube measure is 241/4" ...progressive springs stock hight going in. Spring is shorter cuz they come with a spacer I have to cut to length. You should consider a lowering kit and rebuild kit... Your talking less than $150.00...

Yep, it's an option. Found a kit for 89 bucks. But I think I need to lose 4 inches off the front end. If I. Going to have to buy shortened tubes, might as well get 4 under instead of 2 under and a lowering kit, unless it makes a difference in ride quality and it might. Opinions welcome.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Yep, it's an option. Found a kit for 89 bucks. But I think I need to lose 4 inches off the front end. If I. Going to have to buy shortened tubes, might as well get 4 under instead of 2 under and a lowering kit, unless it makes a difference in ride quality and it might. Opinions welcome.
Need to get your head around using the correct terminology or you will get into trouble. There's a big difference getting SHORTER tubes that you have now and buying UNDERSIZED tubes for that frontend.

You've been told this a couple times the front you have is longer than stock for the model it came off of not just the bike & year you have. Don't get this confused or you'll buy wrong. That front had 24.something" long tubes STOCK, 72 FLH front had 20.5" stock and you don't have this front end anymore. You will have to take a leg apart and find out how long the tube is you have now then figure out do you want stock ( 24.5" tubes ) or do want to go lower ( undersize tubes ). I will strongly suggest stock length for a FXWG or 22" or 23" replacement tubes and don't screw with a lowering kit, it really trashes what little suspension it has already.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 01-28-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:23 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree with Twizted on pulling them apart to see what your dealing with here, length wise. I wouldn't machine the stainless tubes . That would just be the longest way to accomplish your goal and really throw off the next owner of your bike when he needs to go in there for repairs or upgrade.

Quick Reply: How do I cut and shorten wide glide tubes?