Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

How do I cut and shorten wide glide tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Need to get your head around using the correct terminology or you will get into trouble. There's a big difference getting SHORTER tubes that you have now and buying UNDERSIZED tubes for that frontend.

You've been told this a couple times the front you have is longer than stock for the model it came off of not just the bike & year you have. Don't get this confused or you'll buy wrong. That front had 24.something" long tubes STOCK, 72 FLH front had 20.5" stock and you don't have this front end anymore. You will have to take a leg apart and find out how long the tube is you have now then figure out do you want stock ( 24.5" tubes ) or do want to go lower ( undersize tubes ). I will strongly suggest stock length for a FXWG or 22" or 23" replacement tubes and don't screw with a lowering kit, it really trashes what little suspension it has already.
Ok, I'm ready for a little more slappin around. So...shorter means shorter than what I have now. Undersized means shorter than stock, right? Yeah, I tend to interpolate.

Ok, gear shift: how "streetable"are raked neck bearings? Think that's an option?
Instead of messing with front end, just rake it 3 degrees and that might get me the proper trail ( I think between 4 and 7) because my trail is about 11 right now. (Don't quote me on that...been a few months since I measured it)

I like a longer "raked" front end anyway. I'll be riding mostly in the flat part of Texas.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:08 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

i went though this when building a duel disk front end for a shovelhead. the stock FLH tubes were 20.5 the stock FXWG tubes were 24.5. another problem is the 72 tubes take different dampers and bushings than the FXWG lower legs. different internals all together. you will have to buy FXWG tubes and run their internals with their lower legs. To get the same higheth as the stock 72 FLH front end you would have to buy 4 under tubes for an FXWG . i used an earlier duel flange hub and the disks lined up fine with the calipers. i did this back in 1982 and there was not the parts around like there is now days and it took some head banging to think it threw. i hope this makes some sense.

The following users liked this post:
Bill wallace (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 06:59 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer

Hardheaded...I already have a complete dual disc FXWG front end circa 1980: tubes, sliders, calipers, 21 inch dual disc wheel, triple tree and new bearings, dust covers, nuts, locknuts, etc.

When I bolted it up, I didn't like the way the bike sat. I also measured the trail and I was a bIt concerned about that, too. Trail came in around 11 or so. Kicking the front end out a little with 3 degree extra rake fork cups might bring my trail down near 7, where I'd like it. I was concerned about how using raked cups would work versus the traditional way of cutting frame or adding a hard-head section....neither of which I'm going to do, by the way.

I like choppers, anyway. Ran an FX BACK IN 1980's with raked front end and six over tubes. Loved it. Great highway machine.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:07 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

my mistake ! i would give Frank's forks a call and see what they have to say.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Bill wallace
Tourer

I ordered raked cups. Talked to a few people who have run, or run them now, and all said no problems. Don't know if 3 degrees will get me where I want to be, but $50 spent isn't going to kill me. Yep, already checked with Frank's. Got a quote. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

I have 3 degree trees on my chopper - no issues with them. except with 38 degrees in the frame and a 6" over front end, it flops around at slow speeds...

Old 02-24-2017, 01:00 PM
lucky23
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Im having the same dilemma with the '77 FXE I just bought. The PO put a later model FXWG or FXDWG front end on it. I like the modern brake caliper, but want to lower it also. My question is what year undersized tubes am I looking at buying? Im assuming the '80-'84 FXWG tubes are different from the later tubes? Or are they?

Old 02-24-2017, 07:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky23
Im having the same dilemma with the '77 FXE I just bought. The PO put a later model FXWG or FXDWG front end on it. I like the modern brake caliper, but want to lower it also. My question is what year undersized tubes am I looking at buying? Im assuming the '80-'84 FXWG tubes are different from the later tubes? Or are they?
They are different , need to see the brake setup to get an idea what year it is off of.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:51 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer

Originally Posted by lucky23
Yeah, the 80-84 tubes are what you need. No interchangeability. Gotta go w/ those years...as far as I know.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:52 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
They are different , need to see the brake setup to get an idea what year it is off of.
Yep, my calipers are stamped 80 or something. I know it's off a 1980. I'd have to go look at exactly what it says, but yep, that's a way to tell.

Quick Reply: How do I cut and shorten wide glide tubes?