Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1981 FLH rebuild start - spiral lock spit - ground down

Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 AM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Hey rancho - no question is stupid and people who consider themselves experts are novice thinkers at best

Not sure how this reply evolved from my input regarding worn crankpin/rod bearings? But just the fact that you have the same recipe for every person who inquires about their shovel (8.5:1 cast, cast guides, blue seals, etc.), tells me that you don't think too deeply, either. It also tells me that you think that you are the expert and already know what everyone needs, before the questions are asked. I'll match my shovel motors against yours, anytime, just load them up and bring them to Sturgis.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts

Originally Posted by ranchodeluxe
Not sure how this reply evolved from my input regarding worn crankpin/rod bearings? But just the fact that you have the same recipe for every person who inquires about their shovel (8.5:1 cast, cast guides, blue seals, etc.), tells me that you don't think too deeply, either. It also tells me that you think that you are the expert and already know what everyone needs, before the questions are asked. I'll match my shovel motors against yours, anytime, just load them up and bring them to Sturgis.
Don't know you but John is a shop owner and has been making a living on the old bikes forever he's yet to post up something that isn't spot on in the years I've been in here. There's a number of very knowledgeable posters in the old bike sections with a bunch of been there done that behind us so please don't take offense till you get to know the players a bit better.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,519 Likes on 2,862 Posts

Yup, just did an FXR that had the top end done by a high end shop in CA. Brand new top w/ Branch #4 heads, they had it for 2.5 years and couldn't figure out the abnormal sound, (rattle, no load, while coming back to idle). It had been apart so many times I used every Keen-sert and Heli-coil in the shop. I heard it and told him "The crankpin is spalling". He was doubtful after dealing with folks who are supposed to be much smarter than I, I told him if the pin wasn't bad, he could pay me to keep looking, or take it from the shop, no charge. After a little time on the Sunnen hone, a new pin and bearings, it was good to go. Customer could not wait to get back to San Diego and let the experts know that a stupid cowboy in SD knew exactly what was wrong.
Customer could not wait to get back to San Diego and let the experts know that a stupid cowboy in SD knew exactly what was wrong

i did not call you stupid you called yourself that - i was answering the idea that a quality asked question was something stupid

no worry's i will avoid your posts = you have shown your true colors

Old 02-15-2017, 09:24 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer

Quote: Hey rancho - no question is stupid and people who consider themselves experts are novice thinkers at best

No, you questioned my intellect, my reply was to ask you if you care to match skills?

There was not a single question mark in the paragraph I wrote, and the customer's only question was in his own mind, based on the "credibility" of the shop that built his engine, and the fact that no one has ever heard of me. He never posed a question, only expressed doubt regarding my diagnosis, versus what the experts had told him.. I don't charge customers for exploratory surgery. And I don't charge customers for a motorcycle that doesn't leave in satisfactory running order. I make a plan and follow it, most times my instinct as well as my experience, and yes, I suspect a little intellect, lead me in the right direction, in pretty short order. He hauled a high- dollar, broken, turd 1500 miles to Sturgis hoping to find someone who could fix his bike. As usual, he left happy.

Being in my location, 25 miles from the biggest motorcycle event on the planet, and having worked in the World's busiest dealerships, I see, and have seen very, very high end junk. Some of the biggest names build the biggest pieces of turd. Some of the biggest names do the worst quality work. I admit to a bit of frustration, based on the fact I know how to fix motorcycles, but constantly have to be told by my customers what the "experts" say. My reply is always simple, " If they are the experts, what are you doing here"?

Lot of long cold winter days here, lot of time for nothing but thinking. I never build a motor just like the last, that's not thinking. It's a process the Japanese call "kaizen" or continuous improvement. You challenge yourself, everyday, to do better.

I think I will make it easy on you guys. It's your World, live it up.

Last edited by ranchodeluxe; 02-15-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:48 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,785 Likes on 3,301 Posts

Quote: Hey rancho - no question is stupid and people who consider themselves experts are novice thinkers at best

No, you questioned my intellect, my reply was to ask you if you care to match skills?

There was not a single question mark in the paragraph I wrote, and the customer's only question was in his own mind, based on the "credibility" of the shop that built his engine, and the fact that no one has ever heard of me. He never posed a question, only expressed doubt regarding my diagnosis, versus what the experts had told him.. I don't charge customers for exploratory surgery. And I don't charge customers for a motorcycle that doesn't leave in satisfactory running order. I make a plan and follow it, most times my instinct as well as my experience, and yes, I suspect a little intellect, lead me in the right direction, in pretty short order. He hauled a high- dollar, broken, turd 1500 miles to Sturgis hoping to find someone who could fix his bike. As usual, he left happy.

Being in my location, 25 miles from the biggest motorcycle event on the planet, and having worked in the World's busiest dealerships, I see, and have seen very, very high end junk. Some of the biggest names build the biggest pieces of turd. Some of the biggest names do the worst quality work. I admit to a bit of frustration, based on the fact I know how to fix motorcycles, but constantly have to be told by my customers what the "experts" say. My reply is always simple, " If they are the experts, what are you doing here"?

Lot of long cold winter days here, lot of time for nothing but thinking. I never build a motor just like the last, that's not thinking. It's a process the Japanese call "kaizen" or continuous improvement. You challenge yourself, everyday, to do better.

All this from the same guy that corrected my stroke by 1/32 of an inch. Don't get so technical dude. I could do that as well but most don't like a long drawn out explanation. There really is a big family here.... And all we try to do is help. Keep that in mind, K? Probably see you this summer again, john......

Old 02-15-2017, 09:58 PM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
All this from the same guy that corrected my stroke by 1/32 of an inch. Don't get so technical dude. I could do that as well but most don't like a long drawn out explanation. There really is a big family here.... And all we try to do is help. Keep that in mind, K? Probably see you this summer again, john......

Sure, .062 is no big deal when we are talking motors.

Ok, now I know that inaccurate information is not to be corrected (I tried to do it tactfully and you still got monkey butt), and precise technical information is not what you desire, I no longer see an intellectual reason to stay. Because, I know that you speak for the cartel that gets sideways if anyone other than the accepted circle of experts has any input. Live it up.

Last edited by ranchodeluxe; 02-15-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:28 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,201 Likes on 1,478 Posts

Well I would suggest the same. If you are the expert, what are you doing here.

And I think I will make it easy on you as well. It's your world, I am just passing through.

Hope you feel better now cupcake.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:00 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,785 Likes on 3,301 Posts

Technically, "in the name of Accuracy" a 32nd of an inch is .03125. But I guess the extra .03125 won't matter when it comes to a locked up piston or something else.....