Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

79 FLH-80 Pull the Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 02:11 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 79 FLH-80 Pull the Engine?

I've had bikes all my life including a late-model Ironhead and an 84 FXSB shovel. However, none of them were real projects like this one.

I'm sure a lot of you have been at this crossroad. After pulling the top end off I'm staring at the bike and saying to myself "maybe I should keep going and go through everything?"

To this point I've accomplished everything I set out to with this project bike - I got the bike put together and engine running and I know the tranny works on the stand.

I have to find a machine shop/engine builder to do the required top-end work since I don't have the tools/skills. Considering the bike needs clutch work and the tranny is leaking, I started thinking maybe I should pull the engine and send it along for assembly. I could then go through the drive train on my bench.

I'm learning a lot and I feel like I have decent mechanical skills, but I've never done engine work like this so the assembly makes me a little nervous. Budget is always a concern.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 3,789 Posts
Old 02-06-2017, 10:43 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

How many miles on the motor? I did the top end on mine at 65 K. Bottom end still hasn't been apart.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:43 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Sorgio
I've had bikes all my life including a late-model Ironhead and an 84 FXSB shovel. However, none of them were real projects like this one.

I'm sure a lot of you have been at this crossroad. After pulling the top end off I'm staring at the bike and saying to myself "maybe I should keep going and go through everything?"

To this point I've accomplished everything I set out to with this project bike - I got the bike put together and engine running and I know the tranny works on the stand.

I have to find a machine shop/engine builder to do the required top-end work since I don't have the tools/skills. Considering the bike needs clutch work and the tranny is leaking, I started thinking maybe I should pull the engine and send it along for assembly. I could then go through the drive train on my bench.

I'm learning a lot and I feel like I have decent mechanical skills, but I've never done engine work like this so the assembly makes me a little nervous. Budget is always a concern.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.
I don't want to say " I told you so", but....

Nick, you should probably find a reputable engine builder near to you and go and have a chat with him to see what you'd be looking at in terms of cost if you pull the bottom end.

However, if you are anything like me, rebuilding a motorcycle is a great learning experience and you just keep thinking "well, I might as well take THAT part off and fix it up, and while I'm doing that I should look at THIS as well.

Pretty soon you'll end up with a bare frame going out for powder coating (as mine is this week), while you draw circuit diagrams of what the new wiring loom will look like.....

Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

CT doesn't issue titles for older cars/bikes so all I have is assignment of ownership from the seller in this particular case. Speedo has around 16,000 but no way to know for sure. I'm going to persue a title search but it takes awhile.

My big concern is that I just want this done right and would hate to get fresh head/cylinders back and have me goof up installation of pistons/rings. Sometimes I overthink stuff.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

ADM - haha. As I said earlier, I tend to overthink things but I also want to ride it this summer so I'm not planning a full restore. I'll discuss once I find someone to do the head/cylinder work. I love learning, but don't want to learn anything the hard way when I button it back up.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

check out the rod bearings for play, and leave it alone if good. you can always take the motor out and clean it, but if it isn't worn, don't worry about the lower end.

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 08:44 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,094 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
check out the rod bearings for play, and leave it alone if good. you can always take the motor out and clean it, but if it isn't worn, don't worry about the lower end.
Agreed, no need to do bottom end if no problems obvious. And if you do decide to do bottom you should at least consider "stroking".

Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Agreed, no need to do bottom end if no problems obvious. And if you do decide to do bottom you should at least consider "stroking".
if you do decide to do bottom you should at least consider "stroking" ... Yep, that's what I did and never looked back :>)

Old 02-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Quick Reply: 79 FLH-80 Pull the Engine?