Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Starter drive gear an clutch ring gear together

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:42 AM
Mwh1983
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starter drive gear an clutch ring gear together

I just finished installing a new clutch in my 1983 flh. It was a whole kit, pre-assembled basket, hub, plates, etc. from Evolution Industries. J & P website said it fit my bike. But now that it's on the bike I realize the starter drive gear is sitting right on top of the basket gear. When I try to start the bike the starter drive can't extend out. It just hits the ring gear.
I pulled the clutch out again and set it next to the stock basket and the ring gear on the new clutch is further back (towards the inner primary). The difference is about 3/8".
Is it possible to get a new starter drive, bendix I guess, that is shorter to bring it back behind that ring gear? Or have I wasted my money on this expensive (for me) new clutch and have to go back to a stock equivalent? Any other ideas?
I can post a couple pics if I can figure out how.
Thanks

Old 02-26-2017, 10:28 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Sounds as if what you have is intended for a rear chain drive. You need one for a belt drive. Looked in their vintage catalog and didn't see any specifically referenced for rear belt drives; it looks like rear chain only.

And when I went to the individual component listing of parts, they offer the shell and ring gear. It is listed as 70-84 but uses the part number (37702-70A) as reference. Won't work though for '82 and later FLH (think that is when they went to rear belt of the FLH models?). That part number is for rear chain drive. Belt drive part #is 37707-82.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:44 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 194 Likes on 90 Posts

What he said. I ran into this problem a few years ago on my 82 rear belt FLH. I ordered a new clutch basket and they sent me a new chain drive one, claimed it was the correct one. Finally got what I wanted.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Mwh1983
Novice

Thanks for the replies!
Just to make sure (because this is my first bike and I'm probably way out of my depth here) when you say rear belt drive are you talking about the belt behind the primary case, connecting the rear wheel? If so, how does that affect that ring gear? I hope I'm calling that the correct name... it's the large gear that goes around the outside of the clutch basket.
The one connecting the clutch to the compensator sprocket is a chain though, but I think that's pretty common.

Thanks for doing that reasearch btw. I'm off to check out that part number

Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 PM
kink04fxd
Tourer
Received 194 Likes on 90 Posts

Can you swap the new clutch parts into the original basket?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:45 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mwh1983
Thanks for the replies!
Just to make sure (because this is my first bike and I'm probably way out of my depth here) when you say rear belt drive are you talking about the belt behind the primary case, connecting the rear wheel? If so, how does that affect that ring gear? I hope I'm calling that the correct name... it's the large gear that goes around the outside of the clutch basket.
The one connecting the clutch to the compensator sprocket is a chain though, but I think that's pretty common.

Thanks for doing that reasearch btw. I'm off to check out that part number
Short answer is yes. Rear belt drive has different components than rear cahin drive. Think about it...thickness of rear belt vs thickness of rear chain which is about the 3/8 you are referring to.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Mwh1983
Novice

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Short answer is yes. Rear belt drive has different components than rear cahin drive. Think about it...thickness of rear belt vs thickness of rear chain which is about the 3/8 you are referring to.
Does that mean that having the wider belt drive pushes the primary case outward and then the clutch ring gear would have to be moved outward too so that it would match up with the starter drive gear when it is actuated? It seems like that would make sense with what you said about the width differences, but I'm just guessing...

Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 AM
Mwh1983
Novice

kink04fxd:

I'll have to check when I get home tonight. I'm not holding out much hope though, since it was an aftermarket clutch that they obviously wanted to make it look different from stock. To be honest it looks kind of out of place when I see it in my bike. But like I said, it seemed like a really good option at the time. Plus, nobody will see it once the cover's on...

Last edited by Mwh1983; 02-28-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: quoted the wrong post
Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mwh1983
Does that mean that having the wider belt drive pushes the primary case outward and then the clutch ring gear would have to be moved outward too so that it would match up with the starter drive gear when it is actuated? It seems like that would make sense with what you said about the width differences, but I'm just guessing...
No. Basically the starter shaft and components are different. Also the needle bearing (for the starter shaft) in the outer primary cover is recessded deeper.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:37 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Just noticed that you indicated in your first post that you got the parts from Evolution Industries. I went to their web site and saw the one they listed for Shovelheads

EV: 1006-4242 - Clutch Basket With Screw On Ring Gear Fits Big Twin 1970-Early 1984 Replaces OEM 37702-70A.

If this is what you purchased then it is definitely for a rear chain drive (OEM part # is the indicator).

Quick Reply: Starter drive gear an clutch ring gear together