Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Considering a Shovelhead... Link inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 07:22 PM
empringham
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Shovelhead... Link inside.

Hey guys,

I come from a background of Japanese cars and took a interest in bikes early last year. I bought a yamaha XJ550 for $600 and got it running and cleaned up. I sold my Yamaha last weekend and somehow made some money on it. Witch is pretty amazing because it was my first and of course i made mistakes.

Regardless, i have attached a link to a shovelhead i am considering. I dont know much about shovels, other than it sounds like they leak and do not stop leaking. This one is 2 hours away from me and im planning on going up on the weekend.

Let me know what you guys think of it, in terms of things i should look for and price.

I appreciate the help guys.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruise...ationFlag=true

Old 03-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Mr matthew
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool bike but I've owed a shovel and enjoyed it a lot but I really do enjoy the modern reliability of the newer bikes
fir 10 grand you can get a nice dyna and not have the worries that you have with an old bike
but you will enjoy either
just my opinion

The following users liked this post:
empringham (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 PM
empringham
Stage III

Thanks for your reply matt!

Im on the same page, i was looking at a '96 sporty as well but someone beat me to it. I love the look of the shovelhead but our summers are so short up here in alberta i dont wanna spend 10k on a bike and only ride it for three because i spent so much time fixing it. Was your experience with your shovel a good one? would you get one again?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Mr matthew
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I would buy one again for fun and to fix up and play with but not as my only bike to ride
the one I had was built by my brother using a shovel s&s motor and original frame
kickstart only and that was a mistake
shiukd have put electric on it
it was fun but even being a new engine still leaked a little oil and damn kicking it got old
had 15 grand in it sold for 6
that sucked

Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

I don't think that is worth 10K.Not sure if the frame is original. For 10K US dollars you gat get a 2014 Superglide Cusom with a 103" motor. look here....

There are more shovels out there for less.. Be patient....

https://www.cycletrader.com/search-r...CUSTOM%7C5187&

Old 03-02-2017, 08:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

A word of advice if you are open to it, while a hot looking bike that one is not for the new novice shovelhead owner . Way too much custom stuff done there that will take a lot of care & weekly maintenance by someone with good background with aftermarket parts and a good skill set. Otherwise it will eat you alive finding a shop who has a clue and most won't for that bike.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,082 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I don't think that is worth 10K.Not sure if the frame is original. For 10K US dollars you gat get a 2014 Superglide Cusom with a 103" motor. look here....

There are more shovels out there for less.. Be patient....

https://www.cycletrader.com/search-r...CUSTOM%7C5187&
"Not sure if the frame is original."............LOL, well no chit, it's a rigid frame and a Shovel.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Not for the novice biker

You should most definitely look for something newer more modern mine is a 88 cid. Shovel rigid frame kicker and you have to know the right time to turn power or endure the kick back and posable injuries A newer sporty would be ideal for starter bike Good luck. Wild Bill

Attached Thumbnails Considering a Shovelhead... Link inside.-image.jpeg  
Old 03-02-2017, 11:32 PM
empringham
Stage III

so much good information in here. I really do appreciate any and all input guys.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:41 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Nice looking custom but even in Canadian dollars that seems way too high for me.

Regarding leaking and such...if properly assembled they actually leak very little and only require regualrly scheduled maintenance (2500 mile service).

Nothing wrong with older iron. Problem is that a lot of folks who assail them do not have the knowledge about how to properly maintain them. You mention that you have little knowldege of Shovels. as mentioned this is not a good staring point for you. If you really want to invest in old iron something closer to stock is the way to go.

...or maybe invest in an EVO? They are plentiful, easy to work on, priced right, and a good starting point.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-03-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Considering a Shovelhead... Link inside.