Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

S & S shovelhead rocker boxes and arms

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Jollyczar
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S & S shovelhead rocker boxes and arms

Well, after not being able to find much online about S&S rocker boxes and rocker arms I figured I would get a set and post something up about them. I didn't actually buy them just for research, I bought them because I am rebuilding my 84 shovel and I had finally worked up to the top of the top end. I posted recently about some aftermarket issues that I had with rocker arms. The combination of being flustered and having a sudden big overtime paycheck led me to say eff it and I went for the S&S stuff. I already had replaced my cylinders and heads with the 80 ci S&S kit so I figured I might as well get the new tech all the way.

I have to say, their engineering ideas are pretty cool. Here are the "unboxing" pics:

Old 03-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

I will continue to post pics as I go along. Be patient, I won't have much free time until next weekend (I'm telling that to myself).

Old 03-12-2017, 05:06 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

If you are going to run a real high lift cam make sure there is enough clearance in the rocker boxes. A good friend made that mistake with a Leinweber cam and it was not fun watching his front jug go up and down at 60MPH due to dropped valve. Just giving you a caution.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

Yikes. I will do my due diligence. I am running an Andrews AB.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:54 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 39,215 Likes on 10,247 Posts

Nice looking setup.
Old Blue is already running S&S SuperStock heads

I'll be watching your progress.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:59 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,786 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Those rocker Boxes look real nice. The Shovel Castings were/could be somewhat porous ( looked like they had acne ) Don't forget to check the clearance between the boxes and the rocker arms, just for piece of mind.

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 10:33 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

a andrews AB cam is a nice piece - easy starting for an 80 inch great exhaust sound stock type mufflers and a good mid range -

it has .450 lift so stock springs are fine no clearence issues except for one -- the travel

travel is measured from the bottom of the top retainer to the top of the seal on the valve guide ( with the spring off install the top retainer and keys, pull up ttight against the top retainer and measure the distance between the two ) -- you want the min of .500 that gives you .050 before the retainer hits the seal -- the shop trick instead of buying new off set top retainers - thats to take .075 off the bottom of the stock retainer, and its at least .200 thick in that location and will give you all the space you need

Old 03-13-2017, 01:20 AM
Jollyczar
Intermediate

My motor is at a buddy's shop where I have been doing all the work I'll check it out when I make it over there. The S&S cylinder/head kit had pre-assembled heads. Granted I took them apart to clean/inspect and I lapped the valves. I was hoping that since all top end parts were from S&S that they would work together. I have learned my lesson too many times over in the past about assuming though. I'll give them a look see since I had to use new seals upon reassembly.

When I used to have a TJ I spent a lot of time on these type forums and got a lot wrenching problems solved. I appreciate you guys helping out with this advice. This is my first shovel project!

Old 03-13-2017, 07:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

I'm running those on my 93" with a .600 lift cam and didn't do any clearancing on the boxes. Do pay attention torqueing them down don't over tighten and little time spent with a cloth and the aluminum polish you won't see the seams unless your looking for them down close.

Love them on mine with a good set of high end hydraulic lifters.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 03-13-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:31 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Finally, a close up of Twizted's first love.....LOL

Quick Reply: S & S shovelhead rocker boxes and arms