Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

adding a kickstarter

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 PM
lt56
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding a kickstarter

hi- i have an 82 fxwg. i bought this kick-start kit and i want to add it; bike currently electric start only. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/6000660

this is a pretty new bike to me and the first time i'll be opening it up and i don't have much experience with clutches in general. i bought the Clymer manual and see instructions in there, but i'm wondering if there is detailed instructions on-line somewhere for 'adding' a kickstarter. the book shows how to install if it's already equipped with one.

every review of this product says it does not come with instructions. there is a pdf that shows it comes with a not-so-detailed diagram.

fyi- i was told this bike has a Bandit clutch- and i'm not sure if the kicker will work with this clutch or should i get the stock clutch?

i was also told that it has the 5th speed conversion kit done to the transmission. this is another area that i am ignorant in. does it matter to the kicker install if this was done to the tranny or if i was misinformed and it's an actual 5 speed transmission?

thanks in advance for any info someone can provide

Old 03-13-2017, 12:46 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

if you have a 4 in a 5 trans conversion that kicker might not work

the kit you have said 4 speed transmission

picture up the cover on the trans on the right side

Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 PM
lt56
Novice

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
if you have a 4 in a 5 trans conversion that kicker might not work

the kit you have said 4 speed transmission

picture up the cover on the trans on the right side
here is the pic

Attached Thumbnails adding a kickstarter-trans-cove.jpg  
Old 03-13-2017, 04:00 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

you need a 5 speed kicker and your exhaust will be an issue they do make a kick out kicker but its to be guessing if it will clear

my seeing guess its no wont work with that pipe in that location

send the other thing back

Old 03-13-2017, 05:04 PM
lt56
Novice

thanks, appreciate the insight.
one more question please- can you tell from the pic if it is a 5 speed transmission or a 4 speed with the conversion?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:13 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

OK this is what i see

the bike is a shovel and a FXR of FLH 5 speed does kind of fit BUT you must run a belt in the primary and the inner primary has to be a early softail type 85 to 88 -

the trans end cover is early FXR type with the angle of the clutch cable entrance - the starter is also early no newer than 1988 -

not seeing the primary side and some other info its all a guess BUT its likely a 5 speed unit in a 4 speed conversion case - go on flea bay put in 5 speed in a 4 speed conversion trans -- they will pop up

The following users liked this post:
lt56 (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:48 PM
lt56
Novice

thanks for the info.... i've got too many questions now. need to go do some research on what i've got going on here.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

You figure out what you have and still want to do a kicker there's a couple things you need to know. 1st being won't work with stock ignition you need an aftermarket unit that allows for a kicker, stock needs one full engine rotation to fire on the later model shovels.

Secondly the cheap aftermarket 5 speed kick kits are junk, Baker is the only one that gets it right and is built to be used, ain't cheap but quality. The $300 to $500 kits have a habit of stripping the threads or snapping the end off the mainshaft it they are used regular or the bikes not tuned properly and you can't find replacement parts for them.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:22 PM
lt56
Novice

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You figure out what you have and still want to do a kicker there's a couple things you need to know. 1st being won't work with stock ignition you need an aftermarket unit that allows for a kicker, stock needs one full engine rotation to fire on the later model shovels.

Secondly the cheap aftermarket 5 speed kick kits are junk, Baker is the only one that gets it right and is built to be used, ain't cheap but quality. The $300 to $500 kits have a habit of stripping the threads or snapping the end off the mainshaft it they are used regular or the bikes not tuned properly and you can't find replacement parts for them.
that's good to know. wasn't even thinking about the ignition.
i've got some time figuring out what i've got going on here.
i'd love to have a kicker on there, but it's starting to sound expensive and more work than i'd be able to do on my own. just the 'standard' installation would be pushing my comfort zone, for working alone on this thing.

thanks for the info, i appreciate it

Old 03-13-2017, 07:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by lt56
that's good to know. wasn't even thinking about the ignition.
i've got some time figuring out what i've got going on here.
i'd love to have a kicker on there, but it's starting to sound expensive and more work than i'd be able to do on my own. just the 'standard' installation would be pushing my comfort zone, for working alone on this thing.

thanks for the info, i appreciate it
Did a lot of the kicker kits for guys in the early evo days , saw a lot of grief with the cheap kits after some use.

Quick Reply: adding a kickstarter