Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Speedometer question

Old 03-13-2017, 07:16 PM
FL54
Road Master
Received 415 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Speedometer question

I have 2 repop speedometers that came with bike parts over the years. I recently got a '67 FLH running with a 2:1 repop speedo on it. It works but it registers much slower than the actual speed. The other speedo is 1:1 but the male cable fitting is larger than the cable on the bike. I'm thinking that the 1:1 speedo will work correctly but I'd have to get another cable that fits.
Could someone please let me know if my theory on the ratio is correct and how to tell which cable to get for the larger male fitting? I would like to run the speedo that works so I don't get a ticket while I'm waiting to find an OEM speedometer. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:57 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

the correct original replacement speedo from harley fall of last year was 375 dollars

Old 03-13-2017, 11:14 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

2:1 speedos were used from 36-51 (FL); 1:1 were used on 62-80 (FL). You need the speedo cable for the 1:1 drive.

And ya might think about getting an OEM speedo. The repop stuff is V-Twin c h i n k $hit and will not last. And at about 50-60 a pop you have to ask yourself how many you want to install before you could have an original that will last.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:43 AM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Usually the repop speedo's are Nippon Seiki, junk, non repairable. For your 67, it'll be a tombstone face speedometer, they were used from 1962 to 1967 on HD's. Know what your looking for if you plan on buying one off ebay, there's a lot of puss cases for ridiculous prices . A quick way to tell the difference from an original 540 series Stewart Warner speedometer (SW made speedometers for decades for HD) from the repop's. On a repop the two screws that holds the face on will be on each side of the pointer/needle. On an original SW speedometers the two screws will be near the outer edge.
If your looking at speedo's on ebay or anywhere's else, here's a few pointers.
Small cracks on the face where the screws hold it in place, it's common.
Shake the speedo, if the pointer/needle flops from side to side, it's an indication the jewel (nylon sleeve, guides the peg for the pointer) is broke. Has to be replaced professionally.
Look at the under side where the bezel's crimped, if it looks jagged or uneven, it's an indication the bezel was removed.
If you do buy one that needs repaired, the man for HD speedometer restoration is John Bordas.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:58 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 2,549 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
2:1 speedos were used from 36-51 (FL); 1:1 were used on 62-80 (FL). You need the speedo cable for the 1:1 drive.

And ya might think about getting an OEM speedo. The repop stuff is V-Twin c h i n k $hit and will not last. And at about 50-60 a pop you have to ask yourself how many you want to install before you could have an original that will last.
Are we saying that a NEW speedometer could be purchased from the MoCo for this old of a bike? My 1970 is also in need a new unit. Hmmm.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:51 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by LilRosie
Usually the repop speedo's are Nippon Seiki, junk, non repairable. For your 67, it'll be a tombstone face speedometer, they were used from 1962 to 1967 on HD's. Know what your looking for if you plan on buying one off ebay, there's a lot of puss cases for ridiculous prices . A quick way to tell the difference from an original 540 series Stewart Warner speedometer (SW made speedometers for decades for HD) from the repop's. On a repop the two screws that holds the face on will be on each side of the pointer/needle. On an original SW speedometers the two screws will be near the outer edge.
If your looking at speedo's on ebay or anywhere's else, here's a few pointers.
Small cracks on the face where the screws hold it in place, it's common.
Shake the speedo, if the pointer/needle flops from side to side, it's an indication the jewel (nylon sleeve, guides the peg for the pointer) is broke. Has to be replaced professionally.
Look at the under side where the bezel's crimped, if it looks jagged or uneven, it's an indication the bezel was removed.
If you do buy one that needs repaired, the man for HD speedometer restoration is John Bordas.

Actually the Nippon Seiki speedos are the 2240:60 ratio that were used on various late model Shovels by MoCo and said "Harly Davidson" on them. I got 70K from the one on my 84 FLH before it took a dump on me. I was able to find an unused one through a dealer back east (that was 4 years ago). It is Canadian so it read kilometers over miles rather than miles over kilometers (for US). You are correct though in that they are non-repairable.

Stewart Warner speedometers are not cheap, even when they need repair. And John Bordas is the "man". He repaired my 49 speedo as well as the one for my 65. Not cheap, but he is a try craftsman.

Originally Posted by Architect
Are we saying that a NEW speedometer could be purchased from the MoCo for this old of a bike? My 1970 is also in need a new unit. Hmmm.
Unfortunately no. Your best bet is to find one on the flea or go to an AMCA swap meet and haggle on the price for a used one that needs repair, or a rebuilt one.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-14-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:10 PM
FL54
Road Master
Received 415 Likes on 286 Posts

Thanks John, Panz and Lil Rosie. I knew that I would get good information from you guys. I have a tombstone repop speedo that is 1:1 that came with another bike. How can I tell which cable to get? My parts books show the part number for the cable to be 67026-62. Is that a 1:1 cable and how could you tell what cable you're getting on eBay if they don't list the part number? Is there a way to tell visually? Sorry for all the questions.
BTW I did have an OEM speedo repaired by John Bordas. He is the man and a nice guy as well.