Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1983 FLHT Shovel

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Bridgeendfarm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 FLHT Shovel

I bought thesubject bike and rode it little over 200 miles yesterday home. It ran well while I was picking it up no smoke, noises, etc. On the road trip home after 50-75 miles or so the rear cylinder started it seemed to be smoking (blue/white) some when it was sitting and idleing. Around100 milesI stopped and the smoke was coming out pretty good from the rear cylinder exhaust pipe. Itran very strong, no missing, etc. It seem as the rear cylinder was getting hot, the exhaust pipe on the smoking cylindercomes out wraps around the cylinder under the seat and along the oil tank and pops out on the LH side below the hard side bag.I think they are called true duals. My rear and legs were also getting quite warm from the heat put off by the pipe. When I stopped and gased I letit rest about an hour. Startedand same thing no smoke, etc forawhile as I cruised down the highway.Then as it was stopped at a light idling it would smoke, the smoke wasn't as bad as the first stopbut it still was smoking. It seems the futher you rode the wrost it got. You couldn't see anysmoke from it as itranalong. Had a friend behind me and we swap places so I could watch it. Oiltemp was about 200, no sign of a leaky head, etc. I ran this bike 55 - 75 the whole trip and parked it in my driveway same smoked some as it idled. If it wasn't for the smoke from the one cylinder I would be very happy with it and would ride it to anywhere.Todayno signs of oil anywhere as well.The tank seems to have the same amount of oil in it. Is it possible that the exhaust by being so close to the cylinder is making it over heat? The forks have on each side a chrome deflector along them that I feel is blocking air across the motor. Any suggestions or idea would be appreciated Thanks I posted this also under the engine, exhaust, fuel forum also and have pictures there too. The fellow I bought the bike from said he hadn't ran it since March.It has 84,000 on it and the motor rebuild he had done was about 20,000ago. Someone suggested seats but I would think if they were bad I would get smoke when it starts from the oil dripping into the cylinder.That has been my experience with autos anyway. Can you pull the heads without pulling the motor out?
Thanks

Old 08-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Bootsy
Novice
Default RE: 1983 FLHT Shovel

You can pull the heads without taking out the engine,you only have to remove the gas tank.

I would suggest you check whether you have the right oil in the bag. I only use the SAE50 from Harley (it hasthe right dopes in it), I have had the same problem with the smoke when I used the 20W50 oil.

If that doesn't work you should check the compression with a pressure tester,I suspect one of the valveguides ifit isn't the oil.

Bootsy

Old 08-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Bridgeendfarm
Advanced

he gave me some quarts but I haven't looked yet at them thanks for the tip, I will drain it and put some 50 in it and ty that. Ever used Lucas stab as an additive?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:12 AM
wrtnaz
Novice

Looking for my first bike and love the old school look. I found a 83 FLH. From what I have read this is the last year of the Shovelhead. I have been asking around and get different answers every time. Canyou help? I am wondering what are the good and bad of owning a Shovelhead? It has 33000 original miles, the owner says it runs perfectly and the bike looks great! The problem I run into is I know nothing about bikes as far as maintenance is concerned and I dont have the money to be throwing away all the time to fix possible problems an older bike may have. Can youtell me how reliable the shovelheads are? It is a 5 speed and I think that is the beginning of Harley 5 speeds as well. Was there any problems with them? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to any help you can give. Also, I am currently deployed and will have to have a friend look at the bike for me if I want to buy it. What should he be looking at as far as possible problems? Here is a pic of the bike so you can take a look. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
I took a look at your pics and saw a few differnces from the bike I am looking at, can you look at the attached pic and let me know what is stock or changed? Thanks again

[IMG]local://upfiles/6902/4F3DC44CFB3F428586B866991B2777C3.jpg[/IMG]